Shopping for fabric

iVillage Member
Shopping for fabric
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 9:25pm

Does anyone quilt, sew or do textile art? I've used fabric before on altered projects but I don't sew. Anyway, I remembered that I once considered doing hot air balloons or kites if I ever had a boy's room to decorate. I found balloon fabric on ebay but only 1 (or maybe even none, I forget-lol) for kites. So, I was wondering where else to look for fabric. Thanks for any suggestions!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 1:05am
Lurker here (I'm due in January but would love to have the baby in December ;-)

I like to buy fabric from fabricdepot.com. If I'm looking for a specific print, I'll also check etsy.com, superbuzzy.com (I think that's what it is..) or just google it and start searching.

Good luck finding what you need!
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 1:34pm
Thanks!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 1:35pm
Hi Sunni, I'm a seamstress and sew & sell children's clothing on Etsy (paintedbutterfly). If you have any local quilt shops in your area, that's a nice place to start for fabric. This way you can feel the fabrics and see the design and scale in person (I can't tell you how many times I've ordered fabrics online and been surprised at how larger or small the design is when I received it!).

However there are some great online fabric sources. For quilting cottons (which are going to be higher quality & soft as opposed to something that might be too rough or too sheer), I like www.fatquartershop.com, www.thefabricfairy.com and www.fashionablefabrics.com

Check out this website for free nursery patterns too, I'm using them for my projects (I already made the baby quilt).
http://sew4home.com/

Good luck! If you have any sewing related questions, I'm happy to help :)
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 4:26pm
Thanks, Julie, I was hoping you’d have a few tricks up your sleeve! I've checked out your blog and your nursery is going to be awesome. The shop in town went out of business and the sewing machine shop where my husband works (he’s the repairman)only carries a limited supply of fabric. Scale/size is a tough one for me. I used to be a big basket collector and, despite seeing the measurements, I was constantly surprised by their size-lol. There is a huge quilt shop about an hour from here but it's very disorganized. You have to go when you have plenty of time because it could take quite some time to find a bolt of fabric. My Mom is doing my sewing so, if I want it done in time for the baby, I have to keep it simple. She never did finish all the stuff for Olivia and I had already bought a cheapy bed set to get me through.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-23-2011 - 10:37pm
I have had a huge amount of success with Joann's fabrics. For my oldest I wanted to do a celestial theme and I found beautiful fabric that I made into curtains. I wish I had a picture to send. It was different shades of dark blue with yellow moons and stars and silver accents. For the crib bumper I found a blue and yellow diamond shaped print with baby snoopy in the diamonds and a little moon above him. I used baby blue and yellow ribbons as the ties. I also found some baby blue fabric with clouds, stars, and moons that I used to make a nursing pillow.

Photobucket