Sippy Cup Recommendations

iVillage Member
Sippy Cup Recommendations
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 8:24pm

My son is coming to 11 months old this month and we have started him on sippy cups in the past but he did not take to them until recently. I am wondering which sippy cup worked for your child at this age?

Should I be using a soft top or hard top? Straw?

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 9:01pm

WE absolutely LOVE all the playtex ones. I say start with one of the small playtex ones like the sipsters or even one of the lil' gripper straw ones. I would definitely recommend playtex no matter which you go for. My kids took them so easily and they never leak. Which I loved!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 9:46pm

I am a developmental therapist for babies under 3, so this one is right up my alley :)! Start with a soft spout - they are the most like a bottle. I really like the cheap ones you can get at Walmart. You can advance to a hard spout after he's mastered the soft one, but I avoid the ones with the plugs that control the flow of liquid. They are more work than a slow-flow nipple. The best hard spout cups are the cheap Take-N-Toss ones that you can get anywhere. I recommend holding off on the straw cup until they have mastered the hard spout. Some babies love the straw cups and will not accept the sippee cup after using them, which they need to do to progress to an open cup. Some babies also need a lot of help to learn to drink from a straw - 11 months may be a little young for this.

Good job transitioning at 11 months - you wouldn't believe how many babies I have to help got off of a bottle at 2 1/2!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 9:49pm

Oh, and handles... Some babies love the handled cups and some hate them. I would not invest in any handled cups unless you are sure your baby will take it. You can buy the removable handles for a lot of cups - I would stick to those if you want to try handles. Most of the soft tops don't have handles - it's easier for babies to transition when it is held simiar to the bottle they are used to. Let me know if you have difficulty switching over - I have lots of good tips for making the swap :)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 10:18pm

My son's favorites have always been the Dr. Brown's training cups (soft spout) but I can't find them anymore so I'm not sure if they quit making them?

Photobucket
Community Leader
Fri, 08-12-2011 - 7:36pm

Definitely start with the soft tops.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-13-2011 - 11:16am

Hi,

I actually bought him a nuby sippy cup to try it out and he has taken to that well. The top part is soft, and it looks like a straw like thing but it isn't a straw if that makes sense. He seems to take to that well as it is a little narrow in the place where he would need to hold onto it. I will let you know how it goes!

Any other tips that you may have other than just sippy cups? What do you specialize in? or know about?

Thanks