So on the topic of "stolen" names...

iVillage Member
So on the topic of "stolen" names...
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:01pm

When I was pregnant with dd my SIL (dh's side of family), brother, and sister all at separate times told me what names they planned for their children so that I wouldn't use them.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 10:26pm

Yeah that is a bit weird... I think if they are not pg or aren't even trying the name is fair game. I do not have anyone like that in my family or friends, thank goodness.

On another note, I do have a friend who named her daughter after mine. Well not after mine but the same as mine. Even used the same spelling. I was kind of annoyed that she one day said to me, I love Makenzies name so I'm going to name my baby that and then didn't even change the spelling any. I'm not sure why it bothered me so much, maybe because she pretty much announced that she was going to copy me (even though the name is now very popular, even the spelling which bothers me even more. It wasn't when we chose this name for our DD) and then didn't even change the spelling. I'm over it now but at the time it really bothered me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 7:58am

When I first announced my first daughter's name my brother said, "That was gonna be the name for my first daughter!"

Michelle due 2/12/10 w/#4

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:15am

I know that my closest friends and I have talked about baby names forever and I wouldn't name my child something that they were thinking of unless it was a family name.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 9:25am

agreed, I'm also not too happy with how many Jacksons there are but my sons name HAS to have a hard N at the end and thats the only thing DH will agree on, other than Mason and my cousin just stole that one. Which speaking of, also irritated me becuse she knew we were going back and forth between Mason and Jackson. I would much rather have Grayson but DH will have no part of it. So being DH is Jack and his grandfather is Jackson, we are just sticking with the family name. Unless something crazy happens and I can find a name that he will love as well. He is so friggin picky. I should just tell him too bad since he named Nathan and this baby if she is a girl, but I can't lol.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:12am
I agree, I would never purposely name my kid something that someone close was planning to use...I just don't know that I think it is right to "claim" a name ahead of time. It puts the other person in a bad position. I'm just glad I have different taste in names than my siblings do apparently! lol It ended up being a non issue, but what if I had been planning to use one of those names?

I also think it is a different situation when in conversation you've stated names that you like or plan to use. I mean that kind of stuff just comes up, but to go to someone and say specifically, "Don't use this name because I'm going to use it someday." That seems wrong to me.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:36am
I don't think you should attempt to call a name unless you're further along than someone else. My Mom is trying to get me to name this one Mackenzie if it's a girl but one of closest friends has a daughter with that name. We're way too close to both have Mackenzies; especially since she goes by Mackie which I think is just darling.

I just found out Dh’s cousins who are 6 weeks ahead of us are no longer using their Grandpa’s very unusual name. I don’t want to use it but I’m worried Dh might try to put pressure on me to use it. I nixed it right off when he suggested it (before we found out they wanted it).
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 10:45am
I have that potential issue to if this is a boy! Dh's father passed this Spring and I'm worried he will want to name baby after him. I really loved his dad, so it isn't personal, I just don't care for the name. It is an old name, and not the kind that is back in fashion, if you know what I mean. lol
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-06-2011 - 11:18am
My parents had a friend that loved my name so much that when she got pg she said she was naming her baby Torie, then she had a boy, so she changed the spelling to Torrey, but still called him 'torie'. I wonder how my parents felt about that? I've never asked them.

I was the first one pregnant in my family, 12 years ago. I've always had a rule that any child with "grandchild status" to my parents, their name or any that are close are out. The name I loved for a girl was Makayla. I lost my babies. Then step-brother had a girl and named her Kayla, I was po'd. But I found a new name I loved for a girl, Jaidyn. We continued trying and I hoped for my Jaidyn... then my brother had a boy and named him Caden, my name was out. But I found a new name I loved for a girl, Rylee, and we kept trying. Then my other step brother had a girl and named her Kylee, so Rylee was out. (anyone seeing a trend here?) Well 12 years later, and 13 "grandchildren" later (counting my Landon) we're finally pregnant again and found a boy name we loved, Jaxon. Step brother #1 just named his son Jackson... I'm so over it - I'm very much planning on using Jaxon, we thought of it and decided we loved it before the other Jackson, so we're keeping it. whatever!