Strangers Trying To Touch Baby?

iVillage Member
Strangers Trying To Touch Baby?
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:56am

I'm sure you've all been in this situation at one point or another. You are out in public and some well-meaning stranger insists on touching your baby (eek! especially during cold and flu season)!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 1:04am

I don't like it. Not because I'm worried about them getting sick or anything because that is not the issue. I have taken all of my babies out from day one and they are all healthy. I just don't like strangers touching my baby or any of my kids for that matter. I am pretty good at reading someone's face and can tell when they have that "I just have to touch that baby" look on their face. At that point I move back and/or turn away letting them know with just body expression that they are not welcome to touch my baby.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 12:22pm
I'm not a fan of being touched myself, so I really don't like it when people touch my baby. My first son was 4 weeks early and my 3rd son has always had a very compromised immune system, so I'm a little more sensitive about this than most, I think. I usually just keep my daughter covered in public either in the sling or in her stroller with the hoods pulled over so people don't try. If they do, I politely offer hand sanitizer and so far no one has gotten upset about that.
My integrity hasbeen questioned and I've been accused of lying. I shouldn't have shared so much of myself online, I just got too excited. This is goodbye.
*Charlotte

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 3:04pm

No way do I want anyone touching the baby.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-13-2012 - 12:37pm
Not okay, given that Isaac was early. I have no issue telling people "sorry, he was early, so his immune system isn't quite up to par, so no touching". But I'm also one of those people that doesn't like to be touched unless I know you so that probably adds to it lol
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 1:52pm
Unless said stranger looks like they are sick, I don't really mind if they touch my baby. I was the same way with my first. I don't believe in keeping a new baby in the house for weeks and weeks and away from people. My first was at a restaurant 2 days after we left the hospital, and on his 2+ years of life he has been sick a total of 4 or 5 times (and only twice did he need to go to the doctor).

Photobucket