Vent and Question about child care

iVillage Member
Vent and Question about child care
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 5:19pm

Ok this starts out as a vent that I just have to get off my chest. So let me start off by saying sadly I cannot

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 6:12pm

I'm so sorry that happened!

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 6:30pm
I'm sorry you are having to go through this right now!

We found our child care provider on Craigslist. You might want to try there or one of the "babysitter service" websites. You'll have an easier time finding someone who is willing to use cloth diapers if you find an in-home provider. As it stands right now, only Sean (our 2 yr old) will be going to the babysitter, at least until the summer or fall semester next year, but I did ask her if I needed to have her watch the baby if she was ok with cloth diapers and she said she was. I don't recall ever hearing of a "chain" day care that will do cloth diapers....but it may be possible to find one. Good luck!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 6:33pm
I would suggest going online and checking to see what's avail in your area. Start checking around for prices. I don't know where your located but check to see if you have a Goddard school close by. I wouldn't be able to do it! I would prob have to take some unpaid leave from my job so I wouldn't have to rush and put a newborn somewhere too fast.

My mother shud be looking after RJ once I go back to work.. but she's funny acting... there is noway I would survive as a stay at home mom, but if I had to I would have to quit my job
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 7:02pm

Sorry to hear that. You shouldn't have to go through this!

We found our childcare provider online. I live in CA, and we have a webpage that has all providers listed that are liscensed. I started calling around and interviewed some over the phone. If I liked them my husband and I went to look at their home day care and interviewed them at their house.

As PP said, I also don't know any center where they would be ok using cloth diapers.

You will probably need to start looking right away, since there are laws on how many babies under 2 each child care provider can have. I got turned down by at least 10 different day cares because they already had a waiting list. Sorry, not saying this to scare you.

Best of luck!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 7:54pm
First off, would you be looking more towards a daycare center or in home daycare? I have used a center when DD was a infant and I personally didn't like it at all. I then moved to an in home daycare for her and have LOVED it. Its also much cheaper in most cases.

What I did was look on ad's (craigslist, local daycare ads, etc) and gathered a list based on price range and location. Then I went and did an in home interview with each. My criteria was that they were loving and caring and that they could work with my schedule, that they were in a safe location, they seemed professional, etc.

I am sorry she told you so last minute. I would be MAD too!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 7:57pm
PS. I also made sure they were licensed. Also.. when I went to the center they were totally cool with cloth diapering :)

Also.. when I moved last year I found an in home daycare in a week. You can do it :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 8:56pm

So sorry you are having to deal with this!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 9:35pm
Ugh! I would be fuming too! I'm so sorry!

We did get some reccs from people we knew, but I also used the DFS (department of family services) website to check up on any violations, complaints, etc. I scheduled interviews different places. Some places, as soon as I walked in, I could tell it wasn't a good fit.

There is a lot of good info available online and most places are very open to letting you come in and see things. I think the bigger issue (depending on where you live) is that a lot of places have a waiting list to get a spot. You may be limited in options depending who even has space available on such short notice.
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-08-2011 - 9:36pm
Also check local churches. Some offer only preschool while others are a full time childcare program. I have worked @ 3 diff childcare places over the past 10 or so years. 2 of them were church run full time centers & were by far my favorites. Only left after the birth of my daughter & was staying home with them. I was at one for almost 5 years & the other I just left after Ella's birth just under 3 years of work. I recommend you check some of those out! Good luck....it is crappy what you are going through.
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
Community Leader
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 12:31am

Urgh!

Pages