We started Connor on Zantac

iVillage Member
We started Connor on Zantac
Sat, 01-14-2012 - 8:24pm

Over the past two weeks Connor has been progressively getting fussier and fussier while/after eating and spitting up quite a bit. I asked my Sept. 09 Playgroup about it and they said it sounded like reflux. I called his doctor yesterday, and I guess she agrees that it sounds a lot like reflux. She asked me to try him on the Gripe Water, but went ahead and called in a trial script for Zantac. The Gripe Water seems to work a little bit, but only if he has it at every feeding, and even then it didn't work every time. Besides, the instructions say to only give it up to 6 times in a 24 hour period, and he eats way more than that! So I gave him the Zantac today, and he seems to be much better with it! He still spits up, but no where near the amount that he was before, and he doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or hurting during feedings! He's actually back to eating off of both boobs in one feeding (whereas he had gone to just eating off one and refusing the second one). I need to make an appointment to take him in to see the doctor next week, as she only gave the script on the premise that I'd bring him in because she really didn't want to give it without seeing him. I'll call them on Monday and see when she wants to see him next week or if she wants to just wait until his already scheduled appointment (the 23rd). I'm just really glad that the Zantac seems to be working and that my little guy isn't in pain while eating! So far today, the only fussiness he's exhibited has been when he's hungry or tired!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-14-2012 - 9:22pm

I'm glad to hear it's already helping!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 1:10pm
He's definitely not 100% better yet, but he is better than he was last week. He spit up a few times this morning, but he didn't act like it was painful or made him uncomfortable like he had been. I'm hoping that it keeps getting better as he gets some doses in him. I hope the doc can give something to help Ali Claire, also.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 9:03pm

I'm glad the zantac is working so far, even if not completely.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 2:18pm
Reflux is basically heartburn...so just imagine having heartburn every time you eat...you'd probably cry too! Are you using a faster flow nipple since you are putting the cereal in the milk? If you are, and he's still stopping to cry, I'd put my money on reflux.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 2:42pm

Thanks Gina, that makes sense.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 9:01pm
The script for Connor is .5mL twice a day...so we've been giving it to him at 8am and 8pm, and there wasn't anything said about giving it to him 30 minutes before he eats. Since he's breastfed, it would be pretty hard to make sure it is that far before he eats because I have no idea when he's gonna eat! Also, I read the paper that came with the meds and didn't see anything about giving it that far in advance.
I never did call the pedi back, and at this point I'm just gonna go with "I thought you meant the appointment that was already scheduled", lol. The Zantac is helping Connor quite a bit. He still spits up and gets fussy a little bit (so we give him Mylicon and/or Gripe Water, which seems to help in addition to the Zantac), but it is NO where near as much as before. Also, I've noticed that he occasionally makes a sort of choking noise/motion, but I sit him up and pat his back and he stops....I'll need to remember to mention that to his pedi on Monday.
And as for the dosage, I think that it is determined by weight, and since he didn't see the ped before she wrote the script, she probably went off of his weight at his last appointment.
I'm really hoping that the meds fully help our two Littles soon!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-19-2012 - 10:02pm

Gina, just curious, since you BF, have you tried cutting out dairy that you're eating?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 5:07pm

I bought the Nutragimen formula for Breylon yesterday and gave it to him once but he was crying the whole time drinking it.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 9:04am
I haven't tried cutting out dairy. It hasn't been recommended yet by the pedi....We have an appointment on Monday, so she may suggest it then (but honestly, I hope not! I love my milk! But if I have to, then I will.). Maybe I'll pick up some non-dairy milk today and use it instead and see what happens. But, since we've already started giving him the Zantac, I'll continue with it because of the warnings on the bottle that say to make sure to give it as directed and not discontinue use until directed to.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-21-2012 - 2:49pm
Glad the meds are working. If you get non-dairy milk, almond milk has no flavor and soy milk is gross. Kinda funny (in a non-funny way) that all the reflux kids are boys so far. Gripe water is helping us so far and he seems to spitting up less most of the time. I use Similac Sensitive because we have a family history of dairy intolerance on both sides-though it's not either DH or I that have a problem with it.
Photobucket

Pages