Weaning baby off Night feedings and trying to self soothe

iVillage Member
Weaning baby off Night feedings and trying to self soothe
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 11:02pm

Does any one have tips for weaning their soon to be 10 month old son off a bottle at night?

Anyone else have ideas on how to help a baby self soothe themselves back to sleep?

My baby seems to fall asleep after we rock for awhile and after placing him in his own room in his crib, he will sleep well for about the first couple of hours then he will wake up and not know how to soothe himself. I end up having to get up and go to his room and try to pat him or rock him back to sleep. Some people have told me to let him just cry it out but I don't seem to have the heart to listen to him crying for 45 mins until he understands he has to put himself back to sleep.

Just wondering who has any good tips or ideas that I could try?

iVillage Member

I had huge amounts of trouble with DS2.

iVillage Member

i agree with what pp sais, i know its hard to do, but its just about the only thing you can do, hes crying at night because he wants YOU, if you keep reappearing and doing what your doing which is what he wants, hes just gonna keep getting up in the middle of the night for feedings. it will be hard, but it should take maybe 3 or 4 nights of doing this and he will get the point :) He needs to learn how to self sooth by himself, and he will dont worry about that, also if hes really getting angry and crying alot, just walk into his room without paying him any attention, lay him back down in the crib, tell him its sleep time without any eye contact and leave the room, and repeat (this could mean your up all night, but again shouldnt take longer than a week) but i couldnt have said what pp said any better, so hope that helps! and i hope you get him to sleep through the night so you can be ready for the new baby loL

pregnancy
iVillage Member

I have tried every approach possible with my son (now 2!!!) and he still wakes up in the middle of the night most nights.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
We had issues with my DS with sleep, and when he was about 6 months old we went to a child sleep psychologist. Basically, we did the cry it out (CIO) method, but slightly modified so that I could withstand it! It is a lot to type out and post, but if you are interested in how we did it, I will let you know. I just don't want to write it all if you are against the CIO method.
As for getting him off the bottle at night, you basically have to start reducing the number of bottles that he gets during the night. Usually, cut out the very middle one for a few nights to a week so he gets used to not having it then. Then, you choose another one to cut out for the same amount of time. Keep going until he isn't getting any more bottles at night (other than his bedtime bottle, but that shouldn't be given to him in his room, as he will associate drinking his bottle in his room with going to sleep, and it will make cutting out the night time ones a lot harder!). But you really do need to cut out bottles of milk at night, especially, because drinking milk at night and going right back to sleep is not good for their teeth. It can cause their teeth to rot. Same goes for sippy cups of milk....

Photobucket
iVillage Member

Gina,

I'm curious to hear what you did if you don't mind sharing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Oh, Allison, that's CRUMMY. I didn't have my tonsils and adenoids out until I was 12, but it made an enormous difference once they were gone. Hopefully Jackson will have a much easier time sleeping!

iVillage Member
No problem. It is really kinda long, and I don't have time to write it all out right now, but I will later today or tonight and post it. I will say that what we did worked well for us and got Sean to a point that I could handle, but he didn't start sleeping through the night until just recently. He now, for the most part, sleeps through or wakes but doesn't need me. However, he does occasionally wake and need me at night (I think he probably has a nightmare when that happens). So anyway, what we did won't make them STTN, but it will help them learn to self soothe and get themselves back to sleep most of the time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
There is a great book by Kim West (the sleep lady). I don't have it with me right now but if you google it you'll find it. Its a gentle sleep program for kids. It helped us with DS get out of cosleeping for 6months and into the crib.
iVillage Member
Thanks - I tried leaving him for awhile to cry it out for a few days and eventually he got it, but he then went into the ER one night and has been more clingy and needy ever since the ER trip. Does the sucky clip work? It won't tangle up around their necks or anything? I have one coming in the mail - where do you clip the clip to? His shirt or to his sleeve? Thanks!
iVillage Member
I know. I am just concerned with how to cope as my husband works shifts at a hospital so he only gets 6 weeks off work and there after I will be on my own so I am afraid if he is still not self soothing himself or still waking up at night it can be very difficult. I just feel like a horrible mum though when I hear him cry in distress and such. Did you ever feel that way?