What do you wish you had known?

iVillage Member
What do you wish you had known?
Fri, 04-22-2011 - 8:12am

If you've been pregnant before, I'm sure a few things happened during your previous pregnancies

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-23-2011 - 2:33pm

I wish someone had told me that the cramping after giving birth while you're still in the hospital is worth with the second. I was lucky enough to have a good nurse who wrapped warm receiving blankets very tightly around my abdomen to help with the pain. If possible, consider taking a heating pad of some sort with you to the hospital for after delivery. It will really help afterward.

I also wish that I had known how to advocate more for my first born. When she was born she developed jaundice in 24 hours. I had just come out of surgery due to complications from giving birth and was still extremely weak and out of it. When they placed her in the incubator under the lights she had to wear a mask to protect her eyes. Problem is that she was already a fighter at a day old and kept trying to get the mask off and instead ended up clawing her face to the point that her precious little face was bleeding. I asked the (HORRIBLE) nurse if there was something we could put on her hands to keep her from scratching herself. I meant mittens or socks. Instead the nurse gave me a lecture about how it is not appropriate to ever try to restrain a baby and that I should be ashamed for even thinking of restraining my newborn's hands. At this point post partum I still needed assistance to walk to the bathroom that was 5 feet away from the bed and I just didn't have the energy to argue. I know now that it doesn't matter how poorly you feel, you need to either get those nurses to understand what you're truly asking for or get their supervisor in there immediately. The scratches on her face didn't heal for over a week.

Photobucket