When to start potty training and weaning of Binky

iVillage Member
When to start potty training and weaning of Binky
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 1:11am

Hey All,

Just wondering when did you guys start potty training your sons?

When did you start weaning off the binky as well from your children?

Any good parenting books that you guys can recommend which covers these topics such as the above mentioned and others such as sleep solutions and such?

Thanks everyone!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 3:15am

I weaned my boys off the binky at around 17 months.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 7:28am
We weaned the binky for DD at 2 years. It was a struggle for 2 nights and then fine. DD just got fully potty trained at almost 3. DS was almost 4 before he stopped pooping in his underwear. Each kid is different.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 9:06am

We never did a pacifier so I have no suggestions there, but we are currently in the process of potty training now (26 months).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 10:49am
well i weaned my DD off the sucky when she was 12 months old, no problems at all, than theres my DS loL i tried at 12 months no go, i eventually put my foot down at 24 months and took his sucky away (which was really hard for the first couple weeks loL) started potty training both my kids when they turned 2, DD was in underwear by age 3, and im still in the process of potty training DS and hes 3 right now, im hoping hes in underwear by the time baby arrives, but im also potty training 3 other 3 year olds that are in my daycare loL
pregnancy
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 11:24am
Well, I can't help you with PTing a boy but I hadn't planned on even trying with Olivia till she was 3. My thought was that she'd have shown signs/interest by then and have a greater concept of why it was important. She ended up announcing "she was potty training" at 39 months. She made up her mind and did it in a week. I did nothing-feel free to hate me. lol

The binky was much harder. It was several weeks of hell even though I had weaned her down to only getting it at night after 14 or so months. I took it away at 2 and said that, if I had it to do over, I'd either do it at 18 months or let her decide.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 11:28am
I started potty training my son at 22 months old. It was always very obvious when he was going to poop, so I'd just put him on the toilet & he'd go. Catching the pee was a little trickier so I'd just set the timer for every 30 mins, we'd go in the bathroom and if he at least tried then he'd get one M&M. It wasn't long before he was fully in underpants without any accidents.
The pacifier was completely different though, he had that thing until he was 4 but I blame my parents (who watched him during the day) and kept giving it to him beyond my wishes.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 12:09pm

We just potty trained DS a few weeks ago...he turns 3 in about 3 weeks. He was just ready this time, it olny took about 4 days. And he's staying dry through naps and night time...which is nice. We tried in March and he just wasn't there yet. We just stayed at home for a few days and did naked or just undies and we started with the trainer potty-and in about a week we soley on the big potty. He actually does better standing up pee...he is tall though.

He actuallly told me he was ready...he said "no diaper, big boy underweat" so I jumped on it.We also together "threw away" his diapers...and said they were all gone and we had to wear big boy pants and keep them dry.

I suggest waiting til he's readyor youwill lose your mind...

We never had a binky, but a friend of mine did a "bye-bye paci party" and her DD was 2 1/2. They went to build a bear and put the paci in the bear so she could still sleep with it. I've also heard people cut the end off the paci and say "uh-oh, its broken!" '

HTH!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 12:41pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the tips on potty training and weaning off a binky. I will wait on the potty training and let him tell me when he is ready. What we do is when we go use the potty we tell him' this is where big boys go potty' just so he gets used to seeing our toilet and knows later when he wants to be a big boy he can start using that. I don't know if he gets it but its wishful thinking and hope he gets it someday when it clicks for him.

As for the binky - he uses it mostly for naps and also bedtime. For those that wrote that you just took them away - did you take them away cold turkey and did they cry at night for it for a few days to a week before they got it?

I like the idea of doing a build a bear and placing the pacis in there! Sounds like something I may do if taking it away cold turkey won't work for my son.

Thanks all!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-09-2011 - 6:52pm

This can be a touchy thing but I introduced the potty at 18 months and was serious with it as we closed in on two. Not to say that he was dry all the time and pooping was hard to master. I'd say by 26 months Oliver was doing well but it took him longer to master than CHloe. He's pretty much been a "pro" since he was about two years and 4 or 5 months. I never had my kids take to a paci but would try to wean by 12 months if they did. I dk any good books to recommend, good luck.

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
Community Leader
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 1:56am

My oldest son is a thumb sucker, unfortunately.