Working moms: Where are you in childcare process? Feedback appreciated.

iVillage Member
Working moms: Where are you in childcare process? Feedback appreciated.
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 4:48pm

I think I've finally narrowed it down to two choices. Unfortunately, my DH and I differ on our top pick.

Choice 1: A little cheaper and within our original budget. A little more flexible in terms of hours and won't charge us on days we don't use. Pretty convenient location for both my DH and I for p/u and d/o. Less experience but not no experience. Will have another infant almost the exact same age as our peanut in her care. Less structured daily activities. We would only need to provide a diapers, wipes, breastmilk. Personable and we got along well when we met.

Choice 2: A tad more than our original budget but we can make it work. Hours are a little less flexible and if my mom or sister wants him for a day we're still charged for any day we keep him out. Has 4 other kids in her care, our peanut will be only infant. Has very structred days/routines. We get a calendar at the beginning of the month that outlines that month's "lessons" and we'll get a formal daily report. Takes kids on outings to park, zoo, nature center, library, etc. Super convenient location for both my DH and I and also super close to my mom and dad if either of us get tied up at work and need them to get him. We need to provide pak-n-play (or other sleeper) and car seat base. 20 years of experience. Also very personable and we got along well.

*Both have clean background checks, excellent references, clean/well-kept homes and are non-smokers.

Based on that information, which one would you choose?

iVillage Member
Tough call. Will #1 also be going on outings? I don't like anyone transporting my 6 year old so it's def not goign to happen with my infant. I like #2's daily reports and that she outlines the activities for the month.

BTW, would you mind telling me what service you used for your BG checks?
Photobucket
iVillage Member

I think I would probably go with the first choice.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
I would go with choice one. I do not think as an infant outings are important, or structured days for that matter. Infants mostly eat, sleep and poop so lessions and such do not seem as important to me. Plus not getting charged for days not used is important. Also less children would be important to me. Especially since more children = more exposure to the germs children love to share.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member

I think both are great choices, I would narrow it down depending on how long you are keeping your child at the daycare. I like that option#2 has a structured daily routine and also takes the kids on outings and the experience is a big plus. For option#1 it's great that she doesn't charge you on days where she is not needed. I do feel that no or just a bit of structure can be a problem when your child is a toddler.

We had our DS in a home daycare until she turned 2. They were a nice family and didn't charge all that much..BUT the TV was on

iVillage Member
That's a really tough decision! I can tell you that my first day care provider was more like your first choice and I had an amazing experience. It was an older couple and they had 3 kids in their care who were within a few months of each other (we were all working at the same school and our babies were born in February, June, and July) and occasionally their granddaughter who was about a year and a half older. They charged us $20 a day whether is was one hour or eight hours. We provided the pack and play, diapers, wipes, and formula/breast milk. As dd got older and was starting to eat solids she asked each of us for $5 a week so that she could go to Costco and buy food because she did homemade baby food for all three girls. It was such an ideal situation. With that being said, I really liked the fact that my baby wasn't being taken out in public without me around and that I didn't need to worry that my daughter would be neglected because an older child needed the attention for something. It was also nice because all three girls went through the same stages at about the same time so my sitter was well prepared for everything.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Choice two sounds good for an older child but not a newborn. I don't have much experience with this because I would go crazy if I had to drop my dd who is five now off to day care. I got lucky and had my mother keep dd while I was working. Choice two seems a little over rated for a baby. I wouldn't allow someone to take my child anywhere outside unless they have a play area outside within there location.
iVillage Member

I would pick one. It's nice to not be charged for days you don't use. As long as there is a bit of structure to nap times, don't sweat the rest. Kids are really flexible and adapt well.

iVillage Member
I'd go with first choice. I think smaller numbers are a better experience for infants. I honestly don't think I would want a sitter taking my newborn on outings with 4 other kids to watch, kwim?

DS will be going to the same church daycare that my dd has been at since she was 7 weeks old! Although, now she is in the preschool side. lol I love the two ladies that work in the infant room and am so happy that I feel really confident that ds will get wonderful care and love while he is away from me!
iVillage Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm hoping to have a decision by the end of September so I'll let you know what we decide.