DNA Testing For Your Fetus?

iVillage Member
DNA Testing For Your Fetus?
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 11:13am

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 5:41pm

I did not read the article but I don't think I would have it done. I would love my baby no matter what. I don't think this is really a good thing as I think it will increase the abortion #s. I think people will start aborting these babies that are "Not perfect" or will be too short, or too tall, have the wrong eye color (according to them). I dunno, I think this will open a not so nice can of worms. That's just my opinion though.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-13-2011 - 10:41pm
I didn't read the article either, but I would consider having it done. I have one completely healthy child and my second has some major health problems that are all linked to a chromosomal mutation. Turns out that my husband and I are both carriers of a genetic mutation on the 16th chromosome and my son has been extremely sick since he was 6 months old. At 5 weeks he developed bronchitis. At 6 months he was hospitalized for 4 days due to a fever of 106 and they never figured out what was causing it. He was good until about 11-12 months and from that point on he has had extremely high fevers, usually lasting 1-2 weeks that he will get every 6-8 weeks. We just found out a few months ago what was causing all this and it looks like his meds are finally starting to work to control the fevers, inflammation, and severe pain he goes through. I wouldn't use the testing to terminate a pregnancy or even "guide" my child in a certain direction. For me the testing would be used to determine if the baby would have this disorder so that I can be prepared for what was to come and get the child on the medication before the horrible pain starts.

Photobucket