What a nightmare...

iVillage Member
What a nightmare...
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 10:46am
So last night my almost 3 yr old DS woke me up and was screaming like I've never heard. He was a the most blood curdling screams...and it woke me out of a DEAD sleep...and lately with thi pregnancy I've been sleeping so hard I don't know how long he was screaming. We don't have a monitor anymore because our house is so small we usually hear him or he gets up and comes to get us.
So I wake up to a start imagining the worst from the screams, but as I walk into the living room etc to see what it was (I'm still wondering at this point if I actually heard anything) So thinking I was dreaming I slowly opened DS's door in case he was sleeping still. And there he was stuck between one of the rungs on his bunk bed ladder and the mattress. He was so hysterical that his screams had become breathless. So I ran to get him out andjust held him trying to calm him down. Meanwhile the nightmare is unfolding in my head and I'm horrified. Wondering how long he was stuck and hownlong he screamed for help before I heard him. My heart is so broken...Feeling like such a terrible mom that I wasn't there when he needed me...what he must have gone through...
He had apparently wet the bed and tried to get up and was so out of it that he slid through the ladder opening instead of where he normally slide out between the toddle rail and the ladder. So I grabbed him dry clothes an woke my husband up to get him dressed and check him out, and as was telling DH what I happen I just got broke down into near hysterics. I had to go to the other bathroom and shut myself in to sob...I didn't want to upset DS even more. I think maybe I was relieved that he was ok...but just ovewhelmed with emotions and all the thoughts of what happened and not knowing how long he'd cried there and screamed for help. I just felt like such a failure as a parent.
So he really is fine he bounced back almost as soon as got him out. He does have bruise-like stripes all over his back where he struggled ( which made my heartbreak even deeper) but he just said...I got stuck in my ladder and I cry for help and mommy saved me. Bless his sweet heart...I hope it doesn't stick with him for too long.
I'm taking him to the dr. This morning just to get him checked out...but he seems more than fine. I just think I'm emotionally wrecked about it still, I didn't sleep much ( we let him sleep with us) but I just prayed and prayed for some peace. And I finally fell asleep.
I partly worried about how my hysterics would effect baby on board... So I got up and had juice just to get some kicks to feel better. Baby Was kicking and in fact became very active or a while...and still kickin this morning. So I think all is well...just trying to pull it together.
Sorry for the long post, I was just needing to get this down with hopes I'd feel better.
Thanks...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-17-2011 - 1:08pm

Poor little guy and Mom! I assume he's on the bottom bunk? Can you wrap the ladder in a towel or something and secure it so that can't happen again?

ETA: Just read your update. Glad you found a way to prevent future accidents and that he's his normal happy self.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 5:36pm

Thanks Robbi, and everyone else. It is heartbreaking being a parent sometimes...not much worse than your child pain. I'm feeling blessed that it wasn't worse...I

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 12:03pm

I'm so sorry I missed this. I haven't been online as much as I usually am.

Hugs to you.......I know how you feel. When Ev was just walking - one morning he came into my dressing room and I had just turned my back to pick something to wear and he grabbed ahold of my curling iron!!! He freaked but didn't let go. I grabbed it from him immediately but the damage had been done - he had blisters on his tiny little fingers, and I was DEVASTATED. I cried alot after that happened and felt like such a failure. Plus my inlaws were in town to witness it. Ugh. Needless to say there is now a baby gate for that room that has yet to come down!!

It's tough to watch your kids every second - especially when you are sleeping!!! :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-16-2011 - 2:42am

Don't feel like a failure at all.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 6:29pm

Poor little guy and Momma. I HATE when my kids get hurt in any way, I always always always cry. I can't imagine how scary it was to hear him scream like that and the to find him out of breath and stuck. :( (((BIG HUGS))) Try not to beat yourself up over it. Like you said, you're his hero!!! :) glad he is ok and you are doing better.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 3:46pm

Thanks ladies, I am feeling a little better as the day goes on...I think I'llbe crashing with him during naptime. Dr. said everything seemed fine and the marks on his back are just skin deep...and our chiropractor adjusted him some but all in all he's fine. Glad we went though- hoping I'll rest easier. Thanks again for the support...i keep reminding myself that in his mind I'm a hero even though in mine I feel like a failure. And he seems just as confident and secure as ever...so I think there shouldn't be any lasting effects, for him anyway =/

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 12:02pm
Omg I was waking out of my sleep because I heard Dh coughing as if he was chocking on something. My heart was beating sooooo fast.I completly jumped up so fast that you would think I wasnt pregnant. He was fine but because my heart was beating so fast it was hard for me to go right to sleep. So I can't even imagine how u was feeling hearing your baby scream and having to jump up to that sound!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 11:10am

I can't imagine how scary that must have been!

Photobucket