Any other babies on reflux meds?

iVillage Member
Any other babies on reflux meds?
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 10:21pm

Maddie's fussiness has progressively gotten worse and so has her sleeping patterns at night.

Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 11:46pm

We have been having reflux issues with Ali Claire pretty much since the beginning.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 3:02am

Breylon has reflux as well.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 7:24am
Thanks for the responses...I am just really struggling with all this because it is both physically and emotionally exhausting.

My pediatrician has recommended that u eliminate dairy and he recommended Enfamil Gentlease for the supplementing she gets while I am at work. If her fussiness and gas does not improve, he wants to try the soy formula.

Last night was another exhausting and sleepless night... I wanted to cry :(
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 9:29am
My Dr won't treat William's reflux until it interferes with his growth. :( It kills me to see him struggle to get the spit up out. He"s such a happy baby as is that I wonder how much easier he would be if he didn't have the acid.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:11am
Connor is on Zantac and has been since early January. He is currently on 0.5ml twice a day. He had all of the symptoms that you described Maddie having, plus he was spitting up A LOT, and it looked like curdled milk.
It took a few days to a week, but the Zantac has really helped him.
I would say that if her symptoms are already decreasing on just a few days of the meds, then it is a safe bet that she has reflux. I didn't want to give Connor meds either, but all of his symptoms pointed to reflux and the meds helped practically get rid of the symptoms. I much prefer giving him meds as opposed to him acting like he is in pain every time he eats!
We were told that at around 4 months we will try to wean Connor off the meds and see if he still needs them or not. Some babies are on them until about a year old (I've heard). There have been a few times we've forgotten to give him the meds (mostly at night because he falls asleep too early sometimes), and I can tell a difference, so I know he still needs them as of yet.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:18am
I forgot to say that I also eliminated straight cow's milk from my diet, and it also seemed to help Connor. I have been drinking Lactaid for about a week instead of the other types of milk. And until I started typing this, I thought it wasn't bothering him, but as I think about it, he has been spitting up a little more in the past week....I guess I have to go back to the yucky stuff if I want milk. Other dairy products don't seem to bother him (cheese, ice cream, which I've only had once since he was born, lol, etc.) or when I cook with milk. I guess the processing/cooking breaks down whatever he is sensitive to. I was having a REALLY hard time with Connor, too, before we started the meds. I honestly would suggest that you try them for a week or two before deciding to not give them. Then, if they don't seem to be helping, move on to something else.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:20am
How bad is his reflux? If he is visibly uncomfortable while/after eating, I personally would find a new doctor! And if he is choking/gagging, that isn't safe for him, either. If I were you, I'd be finding a new ped, ASAP. Connor's reflux wasn't interfering with his growth either, but he was definitely in pain, and for your doctor to only care about "growth" and not the comfort of the baby just seems strange to me.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 11:07am
Maddie does not actually spit up much so she is being treated for potential silent reflux. She does have a lot of the other symptoms and there are times where it looks like something is coming up and she gasps/swallows. I am glad that our doctor is helping us sort through this. I am thinking of buying a chair called the rock n play that my cousin swears by for her baby with reflux. They can only use it until 6 months but her daughter is now sleeping 12 hours a night!!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 12:59pm
Has anyone tried the Playtex Ventaire bottles? Those, in combination with sensitive stomach formula really help Isaac.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 6:33pm

Sunni, if your db is having choking and gagging issues, that is what my son had and doesn't have it anymore.

Photobucket

<

Pages