Any other tiny babies?

iVillage Member
Any other tiny babies?
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 2:50am

Addie had her 2 month appointment last week, well... She has only gained 8oz in a month. They wanted her to gain about 2 lbs from her 1 month appointment. I thought for sure I was going to get the formula/rice talk but I didn't thank goodness. Addie is still only 10lbs 8oz. (well she was last week, I should weight her again. This is only 1 whole lb up from birth weight. She did lose a whole lb 3 days after birth so she has only gained 2 lbs so far) and in the 30th percentile for weight. Any other little peanuts on the board? If so are your peds worried or said anything?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 7:33am
My Snickerdoodle isn't tiny, but my first DS was/is. It took him forever to gain 1-2lbs also, and his ped wasn't worried at all. As long as he stayed on the same "track" on the growth chart, she was fine with it. In fact, at his 2 year appointment, he only weighed about 25lbs! I'm pretty sure that Connor will weigh at 1 than he will weigh at 3!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:45am
My daughter is little too. She is long and skinny. She lost weight after birth too but the issue for us was poor latch. My ped encouraged me to get help for that before turning to formula. I did see the LC and we are good now. At her 2 month appointment she was 10lbs 4oz. Although its up 4lbs from birth it was only a one lb gain from her one month appointment. I though the ped would be concerned but he wasn't. He said so long as she was gaining and having several pee and poop diapers it was good. He is on top of her weight cause of her early loss and he said she was growing great. I guess we just have small peanuts! Although its doesn't feel that way when she insists I carry her around, lol.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 11:57am
My son is trying to act like he was never preemie so HE is not tiny anymore. But my cousin's son was small and still is. Kid just doesn't gain weight. Her pediatrician said he probably just has a good metabolism and as long as he's happy, eating etc he wasn't worried about it.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 2:44pm

Ali Claire is not tiny by any means but DS was.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 10:23pm

Phew, thank you ladies. I was really starting to worry tonight and started to consider mixing a bit of rice in a bottle of breastmilk at night for her. Now after reading the replies, I think I will hold off. Her ped wasn't worried at all as long as she is happy, peeing, pooping and eating ok. He said she is tiny but advanced in the motor skill area. I guess I shouldn't worry so much. I weighed her tonight before feeding her and she was 10lbs 12oz. I then weighed her again after and she ate 4.5oz, so I know she is getting plenty.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 10:32am
My chart puts her @ the 50th. I would have thought all Drs had the same graph. William is at the 50th and weighs 11.8. I bet that he's smaller on yours, too.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 5:24pm
To echo what everyone else said, my babies have traditionally been slower gainers but my pediatricians have never been concerned. I actually pulled out baby books to see how Maddie compared to her siblings at two months...Maddie was 11 lbs 5 oz (she started at 8 lbs 11 oz), my DS was 10 lbs 5 oz and my oldest DD was only 9 1/2 lbs. With my DS, he actually did not gain any weight between his 1st and 2nd birthday and they were a little concerned but it turns out he was just getting on the curve he has remained on :)
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-03-2012 - 4:12pm
Aubrey is tiny, especially for my family. At birth she was only 4 lbs 14 oz but by a week old she had jumped up to 6 1/2 lbs and was around the 21%ile. Since then she has been steadily dropping in percentiles and at her 2 month she was down to 6% and at 3 months she has fallen off the chart at 10 lbs 10 oz. Part of her low weight is due to being sick. When she was in the hospital with RSV she lost 13 oz in 3 days time and has been trying to play catch up ever since. We haven't gotten the formula and cereal talk yet although dh has started giving her 1/2 bm & 1/2 formula in her bottles during the day while I'm at work and then I exclusively bf when at home. She goes in for her 4 month appt at the end of the month.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-07-2012 - 6:00pm
Dillon is only in the 25% for weight and yesterday at his appt the pediatrician called him a "tiny little guy". I hadn't really thought much about it because he looks much more filled out to me! However, we had him next to my cousin's baby last weekend (they are 3 weeks apart) and she was by far bigger and weighed more than him.
He is 50% for length and isn't very roly-poly, though I'd expect that to change once he starts eating solids. The pedi wasn't concerned, so long as he was still following the curves and he is. He was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth and now (16 weeks later) is only at 12lbs 13 oz. so he's gained just a bit over 5 lbs in nearly 4 months.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:13am
I've got a peanut as well. She was 7lbs on the dot at birth, at her 2 month she was 10.4lbs and now at almost 14 weeks she's 11.5lbs. Shes gaining and dr isn't concerned. I love her the way she is but I love me some chunky babies!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages