BF'ers clogged milk duct?

iVillage Member
BF'ers clogged milk duct?
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 12:45pm

i'm pretty sure i have a clogged duct. my right side is tender and a little pink in one spot...its been like this for a few days. has anyone else experienced this?

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 1:16pm
Massage the area while nursing or pumping. And have LO nurse more on that side to unclog it. Clogged ducts can turn into mastitis which is no fun! If you start getting flu like symptoms or the red spot spreads you'll have to see your dr for antibiotics. Hoping it doesn't progress and you get it unclogged!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 1:41pm
i have had that since tueday and went to he ER bc my BP was up and chest pains plus fever, chills, body aches, vomiting (couldnt even keep down water). we were thinking food poisoning since i started feeling sick after eating and the next day is when my breast starting feeling sore. could this be from the duct or did i just happen to get sick at the same time?
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 1:54pm
If you're no longer feeling sick and still have the clogged duct then they might not be related. But if you do develop mastitis you will pretty much have the same symptoms. While at the er were you away from LO and not able to nurse? Because that might explain you noticing the clogged duct the next day.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 2:11pm
i nursed him twice there lol. we we're there from 1am - 5am
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 2:15pm

I had one. Mine was horribly painful and I was worried it would turn into mastitis but luckily it got unplugged in about 12 hours. Nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. And massage it out while you're nursing. A warm compress helped alleviate some of the pain. I also took like 10 hot showers over the course of those 12 hours - something I read online said to face away from the water and have the hot water pour over your shoulder over your breast. I don't know if it helped but I was willing to try anything. Keep an eye on it though; if it turns into mastitis I think the only way to get rid of it is w/antibiotics.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-09-2012 - 3:55pm
Agree to use hot showers. I had mastitis with my first child. It was awfuul. I was wearing nursing bras with underwire and stopped after that. I no longer wear underwire when bf'ing.