Bumbo Seats?

iVillage Member
Bumbo Seats?
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 2:01pm

New parents and caregivers often swear by the colorful and quirky Bumbo, a popular baby shower gift that allows babies as young as 3 months to sit up before they are able to do so on their own. But even when the handy chair is used as recommended — on the floor and with adult supervision — infants are tumbling out and suffering cracked skulls,

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
In reply to: cmkristy
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 2:54pm
I have used it before & still have it & used it just today. I guess I could see how a top heavy little one may tumble over in one but a broken leg? Maybe if they tip it over while sitting in it on a table...which it says not to do! I like that it gives a young baby a different perspective. I use it maybe a few times a week & just minutes at a time. Its def not a necessity though.
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 4:55pm
I used it with my son but only a few times because he started sitting really early. I have let Ali Claire sit in it twice for a couple of minutes but she didn't seem to care one way or another about it. I think it's fine as long as you supervise baby and don't stick it on a table or something.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 6:40pm
A friend of mine used it with both her girls! Loves it. I actually can see the broken leg thing happening, how it would happen, at least, but it's a bit of a long shot...
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 9:39am
I have one and I used it occasionally with my first and didn't have any problems. I also put Connor in it a few times the other day and he seemed to love it. He smiled as soon as I put him in it, because he likes to sit up and see the world. I did put him in it on the couch for a minute so I could get a picture of him in it, but then put it on the floor. And there is no way I'd leave him unattended in it or very far from me. I do see how babies can fall out of them, especially if they like to straighten their bodies out a lot, but in my opinion the majority of injuries (from most things) come from people not following instructions (ie don't put it on a table or counter) and not following their common sense!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 12:05pm
My cousin gave us a used Bumbo seat and I've placed Dillon in it a few times for about 5 minutes at a time. I only put it on the carpet and always within my sight so I can keep an eye on him. I can understand a child getting hurt if the parent uses the product improperly like putting it on a hard surface, on a place where the seat could tip over or putting a child in that is too young.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2012 - 6:41pm
I got it for my first son and he was so chubby that at 3 months he only was able to use it for about a month.

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2012 - 10:47pm
Ok this might sound crazy but I dont know at what age it is safe to use. I got mine from a yard sale so no instructions.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 8:04am

You're suppose to wait to use it until they have pretty good head control.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-19-2012 - 11:42pm
Thanks! Maybe I will try this wknd.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009