Gasping noises at night

iVillage Member
Gasping noises at night
Tue, 02-07-2012 - 1:27pm
My DD is 9 weeks old and ever since 4 weeks she would occasionally make a gasping noise so loud it startles me awake. It isn't every night and when she does it it's only once and I never really thought anything of it because she makes similar noises when she's awake and excited. But now after researching I've come across sleep apnea and I'm worried. Does anyone else's LO make strange noises at night? Or anyone had a baby with apnea? She's also been stuffed up lately so maybe that's the reason? I'm contemplating making an appointment but she just had her 2 month on Friday and they made it seem normal.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 11:51am
William is a very loud sleeper so we moved him to his room. I think you would notice apnea with every sleep period and not just at night.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 10:40pm
I agree apnea would be every time she sleeps or most times. That is how it is in adults. My daughter makes tons of noise then will have periods where she is so quiet I will have to sneak in her room to check on her. I know she does it to make me crazy lol.
If nothing else can you just ask you pediatrician over the phone? Mine has already answered a ton of questions for me that way.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-08-2012 - 11:30pm
My little boy is as noisy as his daddy and his Papa (my dad)! Constantly making noise whether awake or asleep. Gasping, snorting, grunting... It's a little less since we've been running a vaporizer nightly.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 5:20am
You know now that you say that Noelle is a bit quieter since we have had the humidifier running.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-09-2012 - 11:00am
You ladies have made me feel much better! I really think its her congestion, we have a humidifier going at night but it just isn't helping all that much. I worried about the apnea since my dad, and brother have it. My nephew had obstructive apnea but ever since having his tonsils and adenoids removed he's fine. I unfortunately don't have anyone to call, we go to a military hospital so she sees someone different everytime, which I hate. But thanks so much ladies, I'm going to watch her like a hawk and if I get any other concerns I'll be bringing her back to the dr. I guess that's one good thing about being seen by a different dr every visit, they won't start to think I'm insane with how many times I've brought her in!
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 2:12pm
his_mrs208 wrote:
You ladies have made me feel much better! I really think its her congestion, we have a humidifier going at night but it just isn't helping all that much. I worried about the apnea since my dad, and brother have it. My nephew had obstructive apnea but ever since having his tonsils and adenoids removed he's fine. I unfortunately don't have anyone to call, we go to a military hospital so she sees someone different everytime, which I hate. But thanks so much ladies, I'm going to watch her like a hawk and if I get any other concerns I'll be bringing her back to the dr. I guess that's one good thing about being seen by a different dr every visit, they won't start to think I'm insane with how many times I've brought her in!At least you're a first timer! I took William in 4 times inthe 1st month and I have a kid already!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 10:23pm
Rj makes that noise a lot. Mainly when he's excited or when the water touches his face in the tub.
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 4:30pm
Could she maybe have acid reflux?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-11-2012 - 8:13pm
I thought of that. She does spit up quite a bit but I don't think she really has any other symptoms. I'll have to bring it up at one of her drs appointments. I'm sure they'll just disregard everything I say and tell me it's normal. I feel like they think everything is normal!