How to keep baby from sucking their thumb?!

iVillage Member
How to keep baby from sucking their thumb?!
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 2:07pm
I already have a 5 year old who cannot kick the habit. I wouldve loved for my son to take ANYTHING (colicky). Now Ella has found her thumb. She finds it on the night & morn while Im still sleeping. How can I prevent this? Its usually when shes getting hungry and when I wake Ill feed her. During the day Ill give her a paci as desired but I dk how to prevent it! Shes already become a pro at finding it in the bed. Sigh...its just so hard for my oldest & her teeth and pallet are already messed up :(
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
That's rough. Only one of mine has ever tried to be a thumb sucker and I just deterred it with the binky when I could. Eventually, he started to associate comfort with the binky because I would hold and rock him while he sucked on the paci and he started to prefer it. I don't know if that works all the time, but did with Kennedy.
My integrity hasbeen questioned and I've been accused of lying. I shouldn't have shared so much of myself online, I just got too excited. This is goodbye.
*Charlotte

iVillage Member
Good luck with that! William is still swaddled at night and I give him a binky during the day. I give it to him when he's fussy or see him sucking his hands when he's hungry.
Photobucket
iVillage Member

Not sure how to prevent it, but I know with my son he sucked him thumb from like 3 to 7 months and then stopped on his own, so it is possible that it could just be a phase.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
My daughter keeps sucking on her hands too. I warned my DH I think she might be a thumb sucker. We try the paci when we notice but she is sneaky.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 10:16am
RJ sucked his thumb when he was first born. Now he sucks his thumb or his whole hand. I do give him a paci. I would rather him have a paci cause I can take that away... those yuky fingers are here to stay
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 12:11pm
Dillon has been sucking on his hands too. I usually give him a pacifer when he's fussy. At night he's swaddled and zipped into a blanket sleeper, however he's pretty strong and often works himself out of the swaddle, gets his hands through the sleeves of the sleeper and I find him sucking his hands! He's been known to suck on his hands THROUGH his sleeper! LOL Silly boy...
What about putting mitts on her, then she can't actually suck on her skin (and probably not get as much satisfaction)?
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thanks girls. Julie I may try that. Once the paci drops of course she cant get it back so yea I need ideas!!
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
We put mits on my daughter and she still sucks her hands. I come in to find her mit soaking wet. Lol

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009