How much milk did you/ will you stock before going back to work

iVillage Member
How much milk did you/ will you stock before going back to work
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 8:56pm
Hey guys. Turns out I am going back to work Saturday. I cannot pass up night weekend hours. My question is for other bf moms who pump and save. How much did you guys save to feel like you had enough? We are trying to introduce formula but my daughter screamed the one and only time we tried. I am gonna try doing a 50/50 mix to ease her into formula. However I already have some milk saved and I am just wondering how much other people saved.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

Pages

iVillage Member
I haven't stored any milk. What brand of formula are you using?
iVillage Member
Enfamil since I got a free can of powder from the hospital.

Dixie

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member

I had about 30 oz stashed away, which I would say is probably on the low end. On the working and pumping board there are women who had more than 50 oz stored! When I was home and still nursing full-time I was never able to pump enough to create a large reserve. When I went back I was able to pump the exact amount he was taking in a day, which was great but it was never enough to build up a reserve then either. So now at DC he gets 1-2 (of a total of 3) bottles of formula but I still nurse at home and she uses my pumped BM as much as possible. He's had no problems switching between the two, although we did try the ready-made Enfamil (the 2 oz bottles that you don't need to add water) and he refused to take it. He's now on Similac Advance and takes it easily.

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you as you head back to work.

iVillage Member
I'm not going back to work for a while but I have a huge stash for when I want to go places and for an eventual vacation DH and I are taking sans kids. I probably have 200+ ounces of milk in the freezer. Every morning I pump while I feed her for the first two feedings and get about 4-5 ounces each time. As for what you need for a day of work, I guess it depends on how much she eats. I know that Ali Claire usually takes about 3-4 ounces at a time when she has a bottle, so I'm guessing she would probably need about 30 ounces for a full day/night? Can you start pumping more now during the day to help increase your supply and therefore your stash? Good luck going back to work!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I don't have any stockpiled. We use Similac Advance.
iVillage Member
Oh wow 200 oz? I feel shameful now lol. I am trying to pump more its not going super well. Mostly because I do not like it. I know that sounds terrible. I am gonna try 50/50 today if that doesn't work then I will try another formula. I would prefer her staying on just my breast milk but clearly I don't have enough. Lol. I also need to see if she likes any other bottle then the one that came with my pump.

Dixie

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Hi there. I mostly lurk on this board (had a 12/28 baby), but am on the working and pumping board. There's no need to have hundreds of ounces stockpiled for going back to work. You really only need enough to cover that day. Then, you'll pump to replace/provide for the next day. It's actually really hard for most moms to build up a lot of milk while exclusively BFing. Most moms have the most milk in the morning. I usually pump before my little one wakes up and then feed her after - remember there's ALWAYS milk in there. Or you can pump one side, feed on the other. Also, most BF babies take an ounce an hour. So if you're gone for 8 hours, you should probably send no more than about 10 oz. And 10 oz in the freezer is very doable! If you want some tips, support, or anything you're always welcome to come over the the working and pumping board! Thanks to them I was able to EBF/work and pump for 13 months last time. Good luck on starting back to work.

iVillage Member

I ditto seeking out the Working & Pumping Board for additional support. While I haven't had quite the same level of success as you have, I did find the women there very helpful and supportive.

iVillage Member
Thank you so much! Turns out my job no longer needs me Satuday (boo to not getting extra weekend hours) so I have a few more days with my peanut. However next Tuesday I officially start back. I definitely am going to go to the working and pumping board!

Dixie

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
I go back to work in 2 1/2 weeks...ugh. I do not have any milk stockpiled but plan to start pumping more the week before I return so I hopefully have enough for at least 2 feedings while I am gone the first day. From there, I hope to be able to pump enough while at work that Maddie at least gets some breastmilk each day while I am at work.

I am totally comfortable with Maddie getting some formula while I am at work and so I decided that I was not going to beat myself up about trying to find time to pump while I am home with her. It kind of stresses me out because I only get 1-2 ounces when I pump and I feel like I have to put so much effort into getting enough for one bottle.

Anyway, I did not have a lot of success with breastfeeding after returning to work with the other two kids and I think it was largely related to stressing over not getting much from pumping and feeling like a failure. Therefore, I am trying to find a happy medium for myself this time so I can keep nursing her at home in the evenings and on weekends for as long as possible.
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages