How much sleep are you getting?

iVillage Member
How much sleep are you getting?
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 7:20am
I am getting 4-6 hours total each night and feeling pretty wiped out most days. Maddie is still a power sleeper during the day and I have to wake her for feedings a few times each day. I have never been a napper so have trouble catching sleep while she naps and it seems when I convince myself to take a nap, it's a catnap for her :)

She has been up since 4:00 am (she went to sleep at 12:30) this morning and is getting sleepy now at 6:15. Just in time for me to wake my older two for school @ 6:30. By the time they are out the door at 7:30, it's time for Maddie to eat.

I also struggle to get her down for her first stretch of sleep...it takes typically 1-2 hours. I have been working hard at keeping her in the bassinet for night time sleeping and sometimes I wonder if I should just let her sleep in the swing so I can catch some zzz's.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 8:15am

Sorry you're not getting much sleep!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 11:31am
I hope that you are able to get a nap in the afternoon or something, day after day only getting 4-6 hours of sleep can really take its toll on you.
I would definitely let her sleep in the swing if it means you can get some extra sleep!
Fortunately Dillon is a much better sleeper than my older son was at this age. He usually falls asleep around 8-9pm, I put him in the bassinette and then I'm in bed no later than 9:30. He's waking once in the night (usually after 6 hours) and then we're up by 6:30am. In two weeks I have to go back to work and we'll all be getting up around 5:30am, so I'll start pushing his bedtime back about 10 mins a night until it's around 7pm so he can still be getting enough rest. I've not moved him into his own crib yet, but I'm sure that will cause it's own set of problems when we make that transition!
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 12:38pm
So sorry that you're not sleeping well. I'm not getting much sleep either, although for different reasons. Aubrey will usually sleep really well from about 7:30 to around 2:00 in the morning and then she'll wake up to feed and she'll usually stay up until about 4:30 - 5:00 with a mix of eating and crying because that is when she is colicky. There's no point in me going back to bed because I have to retrain myself to get used to getting up that early since I start work again next week.

I know the experts say to always lay them in their bed to sleep, but you know what, they aren't the ones suffering from sleep deprivation! There have been several nights where the only place I can get Aubrey to sleep once she calms down from the colic is in her glider or swing. I say that if it works, do it for now. It might be like what Allison said that maybe she has her nights and days mixed up. If you can teach her to sleep during the night in her swing she will eventually understand that night time is for sleeping and you can start transitioning her to her bed after that. Good luck and I really hope you are able to sleep soon!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 12:55pm
I'm right there with you, Maureen. 5-6 non-consecutive hours. Right now, William is in his swing wide awake and has been up since I fed him at 7:45. I'm grabbing a sandwich and cleaning my new coffee pot. As soon as I decide to take a shower, he'll be crying. FWIW, William is in his swing at night. There's no way I would fight this battle at night. I used to just be able to lay him in his PnP during the day but, now, he won't sleep at all. I'm going a little crazy.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 1:30pm
It makes me feel better that others are in the same boat. I did catch an extra 90 minutes of sleep this morning as Maddie has been zonked out and I just woke her so she could eat. It's such a vicious cycle!
Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 2:17pm

Oh man, 4-6 hours total is brutal. I feel for you. Around 5 weeks I started getting a consistent stretch of 5 hours, 30 min to nurse, then another 2-3 hours for a total of 7-8 hours a night. If I were you, and the swing was what it took to get some long stretches of sleep I would absolutely without a second's hesitation let him sleep there. Good luck, hope you start getting some more rest soon!

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 6:04pm
There are definitely times Noelle is put in the swing because she more consistently sleeps in it. She has her good nights and her bad. She has been going about 3-4 hours at night, and sometimes if I am lucky 5. I am consistently getting her ready at about 9pm. We do either bath or just lotion, night time feed, then cuddles until she is sleepy. She goes in her crib now and usually we can get her to sleep until about 3 am. She then gets another feed and will usually go another 2-3 hours. One more feed and sometimes I can get another 2 hours in her.
Last night of course she was up every 2 hours but I sadly was not paying attention yesterday and let her sleep a lot during the day. My boo boo. I am more concious now of how long she is asleep during the day and limit it in an attempt to dictate her schedule since I will be going back to work soon.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 8:51pm
Sorry you're not getting much sleep :( It does seem like maybe she has her days/nights confused since she sleeps so much during the day.

I usually nurse Auggie at 7pm, we do his bath/story/swaddle and he's in his crib by 7:30 while one of us soothes him with a pacifier to get him to get sleepy. Once he's almost asleep we leave the room and usually he'll drift off on his own. We do a "dreamfeed" (where we feed him from the bottle while he's sleeping) at around 10:30pm and he'll usually wake up sometime between 3:30 and 5 depending on how much he drank at that feeding. Then he sleeps till around 7 or 7:30 depending on what time he was up for his previous feeding. I can normally get him down for a nap about an hour after he wakes up. This is usually his long 2 hour nap, but sometimes it's short. Then he takes about 4-5 30-45 minute naps throughout the day. I'm lucky to be getting so much sleep, but he's also a really big boy so I'm sure that helps him to sleep for so long :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 8:15am
Miranda just started to sleep in her crib last night. She fell asleep at 9:30pm and woke at 1am to eat. Then woke at 3:30am and had a hard time getting back to sleep. DD has a fever and most likely woke her so DH attended to her and I caved in and slept on the couch with Miranda for the rest of the night.
That being said, Miranda takes brief 50 min naps during the day- 4 or 5. I do try and keep her awake during the times she is up- we look at books, chit chat( at least she tries to talk) and do tummy time. If it hasn't been an hour and she seems to be fading I pick her up and do some moving such as picking up drink cups and other little things and bring them into the kitchen. The change of scenery seems to help her interest and keep her awake. I also use the swing for naps in the evening because its so busy with my other 2 doing dinner, baths and homework.
Do whatever u can to get some rest and be aware that babies start to produce melatonin around 12 weeks which helps their sleep at night and develop more consistent sleep patterns. There is hope for us all. ((Hugs)).
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 10:57am
Annalise is 4 weeks today and we've been struggling...she sleeps most if the afternoon evening, then is up and fussy from 12-2a and 2-6a most nights...where as her awake times during the day are happy.

I end up getting 4ish hours of sleep at night, then once the kids go to school, we nap from 9-noon. So I feel like I waste the whole day! :(

Pages