Motor delay

Community Leader
Motor delay
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 11:24pm

I've known it for a while, but I'm finally publicly admitting that Mayhem is motor delayed.  I figure he's two to three months behind; he's army crawling and will balance when you sit him up, but he doesn't sit himself up, doesn't crawl properly or pull himself up on anything, and hardly presses at all with his legs when you bounce him.  He will stand up, but only when you prop him against something, and doesn't move his legs to walk.  This is at nearly 11 months old.  For perspective, my oldest, Monkey, was crawling and cruising at this point, and Monster was already walking for over a month.  Mayhem is doing what your average eight-month-old might do.

Normally I'm pretty laid back about milestones, but it's starting to be upsetting to see Mayhem not doing things that I know he should be able to do by now.  Any advice, anyone?

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-09-2012 - 9:15pm

Have you talked to your peditrician about it?  I know a friend with a son of similar age who was evaluated for similar issues and ended up with some physical therapy.  On the other hand, I have another friend with a daughter who was a little delayed and evaluated and said her muscle tone and everything was fine and that she would do it when she was ready.  I would try not to worry too much until you talk to your doctor because I know each child does things differently.  Worst case scenario though, better to find out if something is wrong now so that you can possibly treat it.  Hugs to you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-12-2012 - 12:40am

Let me start by saying I understand! And then I will ask does he show that he has the potential to continue to develop? Like does it seem to you that he WILL be able to bear weight and pull up one day, just not on the "average" track as other babes? I ask because I always had a smidge of worry even though I always denied any worry. Ella was 11 months on the 1st of this month. At that point she finally began BEARING any weight on her legs! She does not crawl. She can sit up but i will fall sometimes forward or back if she becomes off balance. Does not pull up. Since she has finally begun bearing weight I have made an effort to stand her up in my arms to help build strength that she does not have since she has never really used her legs. She has made HUGE strides this month, almost like she has motivation now that she really did not used to have. I asked you because it did always seem like Ella had the potential but is most definately on her very own developmental schedule. She failed miserably on the gross motor part of the ages and stages questionaire used around here. Def ask your dr if you are worried. They may just recommend to watch him, maybe some exercises to help build strength, etc. And also Ella is my 3rd baby as well. My first crawled at 10 months, walked at 14 but was pulling up and all. My second crawled earlier and walked BY 10 months so I know how diff they all are! Hope everything is fine and he is just like my Ella, doing his own way! Keep us posted. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-25-2012 - 10:44pm

I agree with the others that I would discuss your concerns with the pediatrician. They might be able to recommend some exercises to improve strength and motivation to move. Let us know how things go!

Photobucket