need advice/ideas about work situation

iVillage Member
need advice/ideas about work situation
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 4:15pm

i told my boss i wanted to return from my newborn care leave with part time hours....to help ease into work, help the baby get adjusted to preschool, and also bc i'm not ready to leave him at daycare for 10hrs a day. i was told that i either return full time or find another job bc they dont have pt jobs open.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 4:37pm
No advice but I wish you luck. Sadly FMLA only guarrntees you go back to the job you left. It does not allow you to change position/hours. I hope you find an answer soon.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 5:19pm
Start looking for a new job is my advice. What do you do for work??
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 6:15pm

I am an assistant manager for a 3 person site at a copy center located inside a college. I work for Ikon/ Ricoh.. The copy machines at like colleges and government offices are through us. I just talked to my aunt who happens to be in an HR course

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 8:48pm

I agree that you should maybe look for a new job, possibly one with more flexibility.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 10:21am

Ugh, I'm sorry. If I were you, I would just weigh the pros/cons. What would you be giving up if you left? I don't think there's ever any harm in look around. If you find something that you like, that pays you what you need/want, and offers the flexibility that you're looking for then that's great.

After now having gone through maternity leave, I realize that FMLA sounds great on paper but in practice doesn't actually provide a huge benefit. If I wanted to take more than my standard 6 weeks I would have had to use all of my vacation days first. Since I was going back to work so early in the year, that would have left an entire year with no vacation/sick days. No thanks. I wasn't even allowed to take extra time UNPAID. And there was absolutely no flexibility in part-time or flex hours. Yes, FMLA says that my company had to hold my job for 12 weeks but in my opinion it could go a lot further.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you. Going back to work with a new baby is just stressful, any way you look at it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 10:54am
A desire to ease back into the work place is, sadly, not enough to guarantee you unemployment. They're not required to work with you on it and, if they chose to fire you for not wanting to come back FT, unemployment can be denied since they'd have just cause. I think you'll either have to go or look elsewhere. I'm so sorry they put you in that position.
Photobucket