Severe constipation

iVillage Member
Severe constipation
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 11:47pm
Miss Ella has had several bouts of awful constipation. Today was by far the worse. I will sit her on the potty if I notice her straining (makes washing cloth diapers easier:smileywink: Today she was grunting & pushing so hard & it got stuck. It took me & my hubbs helping her in physical ways. :smileysad: She was screaming & it tore her poor bum. TMI but you see how bad it is. I've read some things to try but didn't know if y'all had any tips too. I'm getting her a straw cup & prune juice tom so hopefully she will take that.
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 5:13am
Prune juice definitely, you would be surprised how that can help. In the hospital that is what we use first on adults.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 12:27pm
Poor little gal :smileysad:
My first had really bad issues with that and when the prune juice didn't work for him, I resorted to an occassional suppository. They worked SUPER fast, as in put in the suppository and then wrap them in a diaper FAST because it's all comin' out quick!! LOL It was really easy to potty train him though (22 mo old) because I always knew when he needed to go ahead of time.
Dillon was doing a lot of grunting and trying to make a BM last night but nothing happened. If he doesn't go today, I'll get him some juice to move things along.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 9:28pm

Poor Ella!  AC had gone like a week without going and was very uncomfortable.  We tried prunes but they didn't help.  Eventually I looked up some "tips" on the internet.  I ended up using a little bit of vaseline on a q-tip, and while it's kind of gross, I barely put it in and within two hours she went.  One thing I read was that if they get dehydrated it makes constipation more likely, so even though Ali Claire BFs a lot, I have also been offering her water since it's been so hot and that seems to have helped.  She's still not nearly as regular as she use to be though.  

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:55pm

Prune juice thankfully did the trick! I think she was dehydrated too. I offered water and she wasn't drinking well enough, even though she too nurses well she needed more fluids in this heat. I diluted the prune juice enough and it worked. She went several times the next day. I just have to watch. IF I give her cereal it quickly binds her, even oatmeal. I think prunes/juice are a regular staple in her diet now until her little digestive system is more mature.

Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-11-2012 - 4:23pm

So glad she went!  I've heard that cereal and bananas are pretty binding, so I've heard to try to balance them out with fruits like apples, pears, and peaches.

Photobucket