Transitioning from bassinet to crib...help???

iVillage Member
Transitioning from bassinet to crib...help???
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 2:41pm

Maddie will be 11 weeks on Friday and the bassinet we are using says that they should be moved out by 3 months or 15 lbs.

Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member

We moved Nathan to his crib a few weeks ago and I started with nap times. Sounds like you've tried that though. I've also read that just having them in thereto "play" for a little bit each day is a good way to ease them into it. Maybe put her in the crib while you're putting away her laundry or something? Also, is her bassinet inclined? If so, maybe putting a towel under the head of the mattress to create a small incline might help her adjust so it's not so many changes at once?

iVillage Member
I started off by putting Dillon in the crib when I'd get his bath ready or put away laundry. I tried it for naps too, but he was having none of it. I decided to keep him swaddled and wrapped in a blanket sleeper the same way I did when he was in the bassinette and so far, so good! He's sleeping between 7-9 hours straight a night in the crib. I clip the pacifier on a "keeper" to his pajamas so I'm not having to fish around for it in the dark. I keep it pretty dark in there so he doesn't have anything to look at or wake him up (just a small nightlight near his changing table). I also make sure he's very very sleepy when I lay him down but that he's actually awake. I do make a point of not picking him up once I lay him down. I will rub his head and kiss him but I don't pick him up once he's in the crib. Fortunately he's not cried or anything when I lay him down so it hasn't been an issue. I will frequently lay him down, leave for a few minutes, come back in and give him a kiss, go back out, go back in a little bit longer and he's always asleep by that time. I want him to feel comfortable knowing that I'm still close by.
Photobucket

iVillage Member

All of the other suggestions are great.

Photobucket