Tried CIO...

iVillage Member
Tried CIO...
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 2:39pm
Ok so, I'll start by being honest here... I'm really NOT a huge fan of "cry it out" methods. But my mom swears its the best thing to do. So, tried it for a short time today, against my preference. Isaac sobbed until he was choking, and when I picked him up was looking so utterly broken-hearted it just about killed me.
I can handle the crying... But that look of hopeless "why didn't you come BACK?!" was just awful.
Is it ok to not let him cry? Nothing against CIO moms, it's not like I think you're horrible people, I just think it isn't for me and it obviously isn't for Isaac. He is a very snuggly and cuddly baby. Loves to sit with you and "talk"... Even when he naps he will scoot over until he's touching one of us or one of the cats will cuddle with him.
I really prefer to let him be a snuggler if that's what he wants to be. Is that ok or am I going to cause him to have problems? He does not have to always be on one of us or anything, he just likes to have someone near which I think is ok.
His dad is a gigantic teddy bear and is very affectionate. We are pretty much inseparable and are always always together, often touching, even if it's just toes touching or something silly like that... Why should he be any different if that's our personalities?
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 2:50pm
My sister does this with her children. I wouldn't ever just let my baby sit there and cry. I'm not one that could mentally handle the sound of a crying baby. I make sure I don't spoil RJ. When he's woke I'm not holding him just because. He actually falls asleep better laying down

The way someone raise their child is up to them.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 4:32pm
It's important for babies to learn to comfort themselves & put themselves to sleep but not right now. I do a modified CIO around 12 months. IMO, our babies are all too small for CIO.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 4:57pm
I agree... No matter what my mom or hubby's mom says, I think he's just way too young for trying to learn to soothe himself.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:32pm

My understanding is that if you do CIO it shouldn't be until at least six months or later.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 9:55pm
I can tell you that babies are learning trust. When they cry they need Something. I dk what age is appropriate but I know my other two were very diff. One I let cry a little at 4 months (15 mins tops as long as it was just that Im mad you put me down cry) and within a week she was dozing off alone. My son was/is needy. He could cry all day! Do what is right for you & your child. If hes a snugglebug....let him!
Jill, mommy to Chloe, almost 5, Oliver, 3 & baby Ella born 12-1-11 !
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 1:34am
My daughter is a faker sometimes. Sometimes she will just randomly cry out for a few seconds. Or do a half hearted cry that you can just tell is not one of distress. For those I wait and usually she comforts herself and goes back to sleep. However she loves being held and being with people and I won't let her cio right now.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 11:42am
southerngirl1014 wrote:
My daughter is a faker sometimes. Sometimes she will just randomly cry out for a few seconds. Or do a half hearted cry that you can just tell is not one of distress. For those I wait and usually she comforts herself and goes back to sleep. However she loves being held and being with people and I won't let her cio right now.

Nathan does this too, sometimes.

I think to each their own when it comes to CIO or not. But from what I've read it shouldn't be done until at least 4 months, although it sounds like others say at least 6 mos. I just got the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." I'm hoping to teach Nathan to get himself back to sleep before he turns 4 mos (which gives me 6 weeks) so I don't even have to decide if I'm going to try CIO or not. Wishful thinking, probably. :smileyhappy:

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 11:46am
I've had friends start CIO at like 6 weeks and that just kills me... I just don't think I'll do it, period... :/ Probably makes me a crazy mom lol
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 12:36pm
I agree that it's too young for CIO. I'm not a fan of CIO personally either, I think that it's hard for kids to fall asleep when they are scared and upset. With my oldest I used the book "No Cry Sleep Solution" and it worked nicely for him, you might want to check that out.
Fortunately Dillon is still doing well in that area (I lay him down in his crib and he falls asleep) but that's not terribly normal LOL.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-22-2012 - 2:09pm

My personal opinion is that the CIO method is good for when they get older.

Photobucket