who is back to work?

iVillage Member
who is back to work?
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 8:20am
Anyone back to work yet? I start back in one week. My boss is letting me do 2 weeks of 4 hour shifts to ease back in. I've had a few trial mornings of trying to get 3 kids up, dressed and fed along with myself and its a challenge. Any tios to share? I try to do as much prep work the night before as I can- clothes laid out and bags packed.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 9:42am

I am. :smileysad: I only have the one LO so I don't think I have any tips for getting 3 out the door. Even with one I still have to have everything ready the night before otherwise something's bound to be forgotten. I even have a list on our door that has things I have to take with me and things my husband has to take with him (he thought me listing the baby as one of his items was a little overkill; I thought he needed the reminder :smileyvery-happy:).

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 11:12am
I am a stay at home mom so not back to work... But used to caring for three little boys so... Have you tried doing breakfast casseroles? They usually last a couple days if you do a 13x9 pan a night ahead and just pop it in the fridge, microwave pieces in the morning. Other than that I just used to have everything laid out and good to go and just accepted it if something got missed. lol
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 2:21pm
I've been out since the end of nov. I go back in the middle of feb
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 4:37pm
I start back feb 7 and I am not looking forward to it. My babysitter lives by me so it wont be too bad. I will have another baby bag filled just for the sitter. That makes it easier at least for us.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

Community Leader
Thu, 01-26-2012 - 5:17pm

Being a SAHM, I never left work.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-27-2012 - 2:37pm
I was supposed to go back this Monday, but the doctor wrote me off longer so now I don't go back until the end of February. That is really nice that your boss is letting you ease back into things. Many wouldn't do that. As far as getting 3 kids up and ready. I don't know how old your other 2 are, but I have a 6 year old and 4 year old. We lay out all the clothes the night before so they can just get dressed by themselves in the morning. We also set an alarm clock in the 6 year old's room to help wake her up. Once they get dressed they come out to the kitchen and get their own bowls and spoons out for cereal. We put all the kid dishes in the island so it is at their level. While they are getting dressed I am usually feeding the baby. Once she has latched on real well I'll get up and make lunch for ds while dd picks out her snacks for the day and they put their own stuff into their lunch bags. While one is brushing their teeth I will help the other with their hair (usually with Aubrey still feeding) and then they switch places. I then put the baby on the floor with the kids since they are done getting ready by this point and let them entertain her while I finish getting ready in about 10 - 15 minutes.

Have you considered making lunches the night before or even laying out breakfast bowls the night before and, depending on the kids' ages, having a small container of milk ready that they can pour into their own cereal? We taught 6 year old dd how to use the microwave so she can even heat up her own oatmeal if need be.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 12:08am
I start back to work on Monday :( Blaaahhh!!

When I found out I was pregnant, I knew that I had to get a morning routine in line for the older two (7 & 8). They now wake with an alarm clock, their clothes for the week are hanging in the closet (I have dividers labelled Mon-Fri and I set their wardrobe on the weekends), they get their own cereal, brush teeth and get their lunches put together. I prepare sandwiches & lunch stuff on the weekends, so they just grab the things they need and put them in the bag. We make sure that all homework/jackets/backpacks/show & tell are right by the front door (we have hooks for their bags) so there is no scrambling for anything in the morning. We are a well-oiled machine!
We've been doing the routine for the last 9 weeks with Dillon in the mix and it's going well. Of course, starting on Monday it will all be "for real" and we'll be waking at a ghastly 5:30am. Each of the kids will be going to a different place (Dillon will be at my parent's during the day, Ian & Alonna go to different schools 7 miles apart) and then I'll drive to work. It's going to be a challenge but my boss is very flexible and fortunately I'll have some leeway in the timeline if I'm running late.
I'd definitely say getting prepared the night before helps immensely. I even set out my own clothes & accessories the night before :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 8:37am
I love the idea of a clothes divider. Where did you get it? I'll be up at 5:30am too.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-31-2012 - 2:32pm

I go back the week of February 20th but get two weeks of a part time schedule before going back full time on March 5.

Maureen (Mom to DD 13, DS 8, and Baby Girl) Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-02-2012 - 7:37pm
I bought them on Etsy! I just requested that they be printed with the days of the week and the seller was more than happy to do it for me!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/studiofrog?ref=seller_info
Photobucket