Who's still swaddling?

iVillage Member
Who's still swaddling?
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 3:35pm

Nathan was 10 weeks on Tues. When he sleeps he is always swaddled unless he falls asleep in his swing. The past few nights he has woken up an extra time or two and both times and last night he had kicked one of his legs out of his swaddle (miracle blanket). He's grown to the point where when he kicks he's pushing on the bottom of the swaddle, if that makes sense. I'm wondering if I should give up the swaddle? Or just keep his legs out but still wrap his arms? He's also definitely interested in his hands now and has somewhat decent control over them - and they always go straight to his mouth. I think we're going to have a thumb sucker on our hands.

Who's still swaddling? Who's given it up and how did it go? For those still swaddling when will you give it up?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 3:53pm
We still swaddle. Connor was 2 months yesterday (2/16). We use the SwaddleMe now. He can't get out of it.....yet. We'll probably swaddle until it doesn't work anymore, lol. When we wean him from it we'll start with one arm free first then go to two then swaddle free.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 8:49pm
Lil is a bit of a diva and is VERY particular about how she sleeps. The difficult thing is, it's never the same two times in a row. So, sometimes she wants to swaddle, sometimes not. It's usually trial and error to figure out what she wants. :D

As for when to give it up, it just depends. My 5 year old liked being swaddled even once he was walking. He would end up wriggling out in the night, but he still liked to be swaddled when he tried to sleep. I guess there's not really a timeline on when to stop.
My integrity hasbeen questioned and I've been accused of lying. I shouldn't have shared so much of myself online, I just got too excited. This is goodbye.
*Charlotte

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 8:49pm

I only swaddled a little like the first week and then stopped.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 8:59pm
I still swaddle but I guess its not a true swaddle. She never let me do it where her arms are in. I don't use a special blanket either. She pretty much always kicks out of it. However it helps her get to sleep.
I will do it until she does not like it.

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2012 - 10:41pm
We still swaddle Isaac even though he kicks out of it. It helps him go to sleep... But he's kicked out of his swaddling blanket basically since day 1. He's just such a mover. It makes no sense he falls asleep swaddled better when he kicks out of it so quickly!
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 5:46am
Noelle has kicked out of it since day one too!

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 10:09am

I use the walmart version swaddle me blanket & he's now wiggling his arm out of it, He needs the swaddle because he's so restless that it wakes him up. I was just considering buying the bigger version. I won't stop swaddling till he's rolling over. I can't remember when I stopped w/Olivia but I bet it was around that same time.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 11:21am
Aubrey is 12 weeks now and I still swaddle. She also will kick her legs out the bottom, but she seems much more at ease when we at least start the night out swaddled. I plan on swaddling until she no longer wants to be.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 11:50am
I've been swaddling Dillon every night since day one and he's now 12 weeks and still gets swaddled. I have lightweight gauzy wraps so I swaddle him in that, then the whole thing cocoon gets zipped into a blanket sleeper. He always seems to work himself out of it and somehow manages to get his arms out through the sleeves of the sleeper every night too! But he sleeps so well, I'm not anxious to make any changes yet so I'll keep swaddling.
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-20-2012 - 5:23pm
Rj falls asleep better and sleep longer on his own. He doesn't like blankets on his feet or arms

Pages