RAVE: Sleep finally!!!

iVillage Member
RAVE: Sleep finally!!!
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 11:08am

So I finally decided to do some sleep training with AC b/c I am going back to work soon and I really need to be coherent when I'm teaching.  I have never been a fan of cry it out (CIO) but decided to do a modified version of it b/c AC was still wanting to eat every three hours at night.  I knew this was from habit and not hunger - the girl is 20 pounds!  We have been working on it gradually.  First, I worked on cutting out the 11 p.m. feeding, then the 2 a.m. feeding.  When she woke up I would rock her, bounce her, sing to her, etc., but not feed her.  Well it worked!  A few days ago she slept 7:30 p.m. - 5:30 a.m. for the first time ever!!!  The night after she only work at 4 a.m., and last night 5 a.m. (she'll eat and go back to sleep until 7:30/8).  I'm going to let her get use to that and am then going to try to get her to go 7:30-7/7:30.  The whole process was horrible and involved a lot of crying by both of us, but I am so happy I did it and wish I had done it sooner.  I never sleep trained my 3 year old and he is still a horrific sleeper, so hopefully this will make her a beter one.  Just had to share!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-16-2012 - 8:41am
That's fantastic, Allison! It sounds like she took really well to your modified CIO method. I'm glad to hear that you are both sleeping better (hopefully it has continued?)!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 11:45pm
Sounds like it's working, hopefully it sticks! Dillon was a good sleeper from the start and then started waking multiple times in the night for about 4 months to nurse and be held. I started weaning him and not offering to nurse in the night, just to rock him and he was satisfied with that. I do give him a bottle of water in his bed and he'll wake, look for the bottle and go right back to sleep by himself. He's sleeping from around 8pm to when we have to wake him around 6:30am. Occasionally he still wakes in the night just to be comforted and rocked back to sleep but I'm okay with that so long as it's not EVERY night and becoming a pattern, kwim?
Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 2:49pm

Yay!  It sounds like that's worked out really well!  I hope she continues to sleep well and that she can cut out that last feeding on her own, without any of the crying and hard work.  Keep it up, AC!