1st appt -shocked @ early test I'll take

iVillage Member
1st appt -shocked @ early test I'll take
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 1:53pm

Yesterday I had my 1st appointment it was with the nurse practioner. It went well and she didnt make me feel bad for being a chubby mom and for getting pregnant so soon after my last (9months). She felt my uterus and said she thinks there is only one in there but not hold that true until the ultrasound.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 3:16pm
So glad you had a great appt. I passed on ALL testing - except the routine anatomy scan @ 20wks - with my DD and will do the same with this little bean, so I'll miss out on that super fancy detailed ultrasound in the 1st trimester. I bet it's so much fun to see your little one in detail that early on!!! And to know boy/girl so soon! Jealous!!
-Lindsay

*Mommy to sweet Samantha Rosalyn born 8-22-09 and expecting #2 on 1-20-11!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 3:38pm
I had the same test done with my son and they said they MAY be able to tell, but only if the baby is a boy.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 5:36pm

Good to know that it is not that easy to see if it is a boy or girl that easy. I will have the nurse check first before I look so that I wont see it. We wont find out the gender until January. We are those weird people who like to wait to find out. This one is soooooo hard becuase I so think it is a girl (just the way the BD happened with my basal temp and CM, and ovulation) that I want to see if I am right. I guess I will know in Jan. I didnt even THINK that I will get to see the whole body instead of lil parts here and there. That is awesome.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 1:00am

I had the Nuchal Fold U/S done at 11 weeks with my last pregnancy, then had a second very high detail U/S again at 15 weeks and neither the technician nor the doctor would venture a guess at even the 15 week U/S; they argued its just too early to tell sex at that point.

Good luck with the tests; i will have the same testing starting on June 30th but like you, won't find out if its a boy or girl until the delivery room.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 1:31am
How interesting. I was never offered any of these special tests when I was pregnant with DS last time. Not that I cared anyway, I thought they may cost extra or something.
But isn't the chance of having a child with Down's Syndrome much higher after you turn 30 (or nearing 40)? Is that why you did it?
Either way, that's cool that you're getting the tests done and hopefully they'll all come back normal :)

Super Mom Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 3:48am
They are pretty standard tests offered for women considered, "Advanced Maternal Age" which in America is 35 or to women who have a history of genetic problem in previous pregnancies.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 2:40pm

OHHH I am soooo glad to see that there are other hold outs like us! Since I already have 2 boys it is going to be so difficult to NOT find out this time but I am sure I can do it. You know how for those who find out they get a pic and on the top it says, "It's a ..." Well I am going to ask them to do that and then put it in an envelope for me...I will put paper in it so that we can not cheat. That way I can have that for the baby's scrapbook. I didn't even think to do it with my boys and wish I had.

Photobucket