20 months already?! What are they up to now?

iVillage Member
20 months already?! What are they up to now?
Wed, 09-05-2012 - 7:01pm

Updates!

Name:

Height/Weight:

Favorite activities:

Favorite shows (if applicable):

Favorite books:

Funniest thing they do:

Least funny thing they do:

How have they  changed lately?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Re: 20 months already?! What are they up to now?
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 2:35pm

At this age they shoud be in a fenced-in area to play in outside to ensure safety.  If you need to be near the road then you should be carrying him or hanging onto his hand.  Ideal to start this at an early age so they can't get near the road!

iVillage Member

If you don't have the option to have an ideal, fenced-in yard  ( that was us when my first child was a toddler) what I did was get a chest harness. Sunshine Kids is a good one available at Amazon.com that I use now, only because the old basic Elmo one they used to have in the store isn't there anymore, and the only ones they have now are those backpack stuffed animal ones, which I won't use because they can't be fit snugly enough to actually keep my toddlers from slipping out, and they also put the pressure across the belly instead of right up under the armpits, which can cause a top-heavy kid to topple if they actually encounter resistance on the line. 

I use the Sunshine Kids one now (not as good as the old basic Elmo one, but the closest I could come!) not only to keep James from running off while with me (shopping, walking downtown, etc) but also, when he was a few months younger, he was really prone to stumbling, and by keeping  a short lead wrapped around my hand several times, I could easily stop his fall, safely. With it snug, he could be suspended by it momentarily, without being hurt, and it stopped him from going head over heels on uneven pavement a few times. 

It's an idea. It trained my daughter when she was a toddler, not to run for the street, when we had no fence and couldn't afford one yet, and I could still do gardening and such nearby, without actually having to hold her hand.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-18-2012 - 12:37pm
We have a fenced in yard where he plays most of the time, but even just walking to the car has become a feat!! I usually have my hands full of stuff and hold his hand out to the car and then have to let go of his hand to open the door and off he goes! Then I'm chasing him with my hands full of stuff. My only other option is to take the stuff to the car before I take him to the car but then I have to leave him in the house by himself! He thinks it is a game and looks at me and laughs when I'm chasing him. I'm sure it is a phase most toddlers go through, but I'm ready for him to out grow this one!! It is not an issue when my DH is home because one of us can jut carry him to the car. But I'm usually by myself with him. I might just have to look into a harness. I've always hated them, but if it keeps him safe that is what matters.
We also go camping a lot and a fence is not an option there. We have a really big play yard for him, it is 2 Superyards connected together. But we can't just leave him in that all the time! I think I'll talk to the DH about a harness for him.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-20-2012 - 7:34pm
I don't like the harnesses either and never had any with 4 kids. I put stuff in the car before taking Madeline to the car and left her in a playpen, highchair, etc. while I do so or put her in the car first and then load up. It will be nice when they get past this stage but now is a good time to start teaching them rules, safety, etc. then they don't know any different as they grow.
When Madeline plays in her room we have a gate at her door so she isn't into everyone else's room or worse yet going down the stairs. Now she's decided to get into the closet and make a mess and also starting to pull open her dresser drawers and have the clothes everywhere so now instead of being able to play in her room I put her in her crib to play with toys, I don't need her pulling her dresser down. I don't think there's anything wrong with containing them to remain safe still at such a young age. Of course she's not always in a crib or playpen but if she's not going to listen then that's where she'll go for while.
iVillage Member
You know what's funny? I hated the idea of harnesses, before I ever used one. Then I became a convert. It's easy to assume it's somehow demeaning, on face value, but what I found was, it's more fun for the toddler to walk and "help push" the shopping cart, than it is to go from strapped into a car seat, to sitting in a shopping cart seat, back to strapped into a car seat. They want and need to go, go, go, and by using a harness, I was able to let them do that as toddlers. You can't go grocery shopping while holding a toddler's hand, especially if the toddler is pulling and squirming their hand away so they can run laughing down the aisle and around the corner. Now my Snow Pea will BRING me his harness when he wants to go for a walk or go somewhere for fun, and he gets excited when I put it on, because he knows he's going to get to walk too, and not just be expected to sit the whole time.

Sunshine kids is one I got on Amazon that's simple, adjustable, and works well. It has to be snug, to hold against a kid who is testing the limits.

Oh, and don't make the grocery store your first outing with it! Choose a low-stress pleasure walk. That's when you'll discover that they will, at first, think that the harness is there so they can lead you around. What I did about that, with all three kids, was give a little in their direction, then gently tug a few times in the direction we were then headed, and say, "This way! We're going this way! Come with Mama!" and as long as I didn't make it so that the toddler doesn't get to go the way he wants at first, just a bit, before redirecting, I didn't get much resistance.

Letting them "push" the shopping cart while I walk behind them holding the handles, works really well too. James loves to push the cart, and even his stroller, while I steer.

When I am out and about, I leave the harness part on, and just clip the lead off, or put it back on, as needed, so I don't have to mess with taking the whole harness on and off, because it has to be snugged up high on his chest, right under the armpits, to work properly.
Loose harnesses can be slipped out of, or at the least, can hurt or abrade, if you do need to stop them from going in a certain direction, suddenly.

Stopping by pulling upward (usually with the lead wrapped around your hand so it's short) is safer and better than pulling backward. Backward can cause falls. Upward doesn't.

At any rate, I have received almost all positive, rather than negative, comments on the use of the lead, through 7 years of using them on 3 kids. The only people to say anything negative, were a rude 10 year old boy, and a rude teen girl who was also messed up emotionally, got in fights and vandalized public property....so I don't think they were good samples to judge public opinion by.

But I do look back and laugh at myself from when I used to think the harnesses were bad, before ever having used one. It was just like all the other opinions I was so certain in, about raising kids, before I ever had any. *blush*

-Meg

iVillage Member

Updates!

Name: James Liam

Height/Weight: Not sure! About 30 lbs, but very long and tall

Favorite activities: Draw! Paint! Book! (he asks to do each one) or pet animals

Favorite shows (if applicable): Bo on the Go!

Favorite books: One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, and "I'm Learning All the Time" http://www.amazon.com/I-Am-Learning-All-Time/dp/0982113706 which I think he loves because all the people look like dogs and cats. ohhh how I am so done with reading that book over and over and over and over and...

Funniest thing they do: He'll be on the older sibling's bed, and stand up and say "oh nooooo!" in a funny voice, and dramatically "faint" backward onto the bed and laugh!

Least funny thing they do: Bites. And thinks it's funny no matter what we do. Thinks us saying "Ow!" is funny, thinks us telling him no, is funny.

How have they changed lately? His bangs are in his eyes and he'll need his first hair cut soon. He looks like a mischievous little boy now, instead of a baby. And he's starting to have a talking explosion, and can go down the slide by himself.100_3028c.jpg

-Meg

iVillage Member
Ella is so cute! Do you call her Ella, or Ellie? Just wondering.

-Meg