38 week appt and some very weird things have occured. :(

iVillage Member
38 week appt and some very weird things have occured. :(
Thu, 12-30-2010 - 9:04pm

Remember when I was dropped and fully effaced and hoping to make it through Christmas? Well strangely enough, the little stinker (lol) has floated up to a higher station again, and somehow my cervix has gone from fully effaced to slightly thicker than before (she said the head no longer pressing on it may be why)... but the real news, and it's really too bad, is that the baby is now posterior.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member

Wow that is alot to take in for one appt!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
that sucks. majorly. hope baby turns for you. There is a hypnobabies MP3 that you can order that is supposed to help baby turn. Sounds like mumbo-jumbo, but I think if I knew mine was posterior, I would try anything. I'm actually having trouble determining how my bub is facing this week and I'm a little concerned myself. Guess I'll know more next Thursday (or when labor starts). Good luck my friend!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Oh no! I hope the baby makes a turn for you soon, it doesn't sound like much fun the way it's sitting right now!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Meg that blows, especially about the posterior position!

I have to ask you now since you've experienced both... is posterior REALLY that much worse?! Violet was posterior and up until 5 cm i was never positive I was even in labor, but then it took the next 20 hours to progress the rest of the way and give birth to her, and it really was torture until I got the epidural at 7 or 8 cm. I've been really careful about sleeping on my sides and not lounging backwards and also putting myself in a hands and knees position once or twice a day, just because I've heard it'll make my labor shorter and easier. I'm just too impatient to wait and see HOW much faster and easier, I want to know NOW haha. I suppose I'll find put in a few days though, assuming she stays in place.

I hope you're able to get your little one spun around! That's good you probably have the extra time now. Who knows though, it could spin around and thin you out again just as quick as it undid everything :)
iVillage Member

Kate,

I haven't had posterior per se, but I have had 1 breech which due to lack of communication between CNMs, one of whom signed the ultrasound showing breech, but the other of whom told me to my face the baby wasn't, when I told her it felt like it was (grrrrr), I was INDUCED with, breech, at 38 weeks. The induction was much like torture, but I soldiered on through the horrors of Pitocin and back labor til the CNM ordered an in-room ultrasound after getting her face froze during a cervical check... and there was the head up under my ribs, and the rest was history.

But that was some PAIN, and it never let up between contrax, which is one of the things about back labor that CAN make it so hard and fatiguing. wouldn't wish back labor on anyone. Or an induction either if done where they keep cranking it up and up when you're not even dilating! But that was in my opinion, irresponsible use of Pit in conjunction with real idiocy all round, that time. I really bear loathing toward that same CNM to this day.

As for my other experience to date, the homebirth VBAC, he was 10 lbs, but anterior, and it was magnitudes easier, all natural.

That said, I don't want to scare anyone about posterior, because it is certainly well-known to be a likely culprit for longer more painful labors, but I just found out that most babies will turn anterior if given a chance, before labor, and of those who don't, the remaining majority will rotate during the birth. Very few remain persistently occiput posterior through the whole thing.

So I am hoping this one will indeed find a better position in time for labor, and trying to keep in mind, that if not, posterior is not a sentence of doom. Women vary considerably in how posterior labor affects them, and not all get back labor, and of those who do, not all experience a back labor where the pain never lets up between contractions. It pays to keep an open mind, hope for the best, but have extra coping mechanisms in place if needed, to help assist the baby in rotating (like Spinning Babies) and/or special techniques for counter-pressure, pelvic compressions, etc in mind in case of need.

From my experience with DS's birth, yes, at the point of transition right before the pushing urge started, there is a point at which one can no longer "manage" the intensity or stay in control (and shouldn't think she has to!), and it's very common at that point to feel like you just want a way out if there is one. But if there isn't, you go through it, because you can't go under, over, or around it, and then the pushing urge starts and you're through the hardest part and into the "I can do this" part.

And yes, it was easier than my previous experience, by far, which was one of the things that kept me going forward, was knowing at even the most intense stage of labor, that I had been through worse before, only getting to 4 cm, and this wasn't so bad by comparison. LOL

So happy vibes for you this time! And there's also the advantage of a second time over a first. First times are usually the longer and harder times. If it helps also, my midwife had 5 kids I think, and was having them at home unassisted (in the 70's) and one of them was posterior, and her pain and difficulty in birthing that one was part of what made her decide to become a homebirth midwife, so other women in that situation would have the support she really could have used then. She did birth that one unassisted as well, but it was so much harder that it was the beginning of her idea to become for others what she would have wished for herself at the time.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member

Thanks, Rhonda!

For now I am just going with the thoughts "the baby will most likely turn anterior before labor" and if not, that posterior doesn't ALWAYS mean excruciating back labor and super-slow progress, especially for mothers who have already pushed one out. Reading about it, and about how some women don't have the problems everyone forecasts, despite posterior position, gives me heart.

I have my hopes, and under them, a practical determination that I have been through pain before, the worst in my life so far was the 38 week induction on a breech (because they were numbskulls!) that gave me artificially intense, unbearable Pit contrax, with back labor, and only got to 4 cm... and am prepared mentally that whereas pain sucks, my main thing would be, if I had to deal with back labor and/or posterior position, to use labor positions most conducive to letting the baby rotate for smoother delivery, and relying on coping strategies that can be done at home, and just getting through it. I already know that even regular labor does get to an intensity level during transition, that makes me go "I can't do this!" momentarily, just before the pushing urge comes... so I have the advantage of knowing I can, even when I think I can't.

There is a little fear of an extra risk of complications if the labor gets too exhausting and stalls out, or the baby can't rotate during delivery and I need to transfer to a hospital, but I'm not betting on that happening just because it's possible. It's also possible I'll be hit by a drunk driver next time I get in the car, but I just go on with life and don't let that stop me from driving. Similarly, though I personally would far rather NOT have posterior to deal with, what am I going to do if it happens, refuse to have the baby? LOL nope. I'll still bravely try my darnedest, and leave it up to life and fate to stop me if it will.

My focus right now is the Chinese saying "Never meet trouble halfway."

So until and unless I am experiencing a terrible labor, I won't anticipate one, because that can become self-fulfilling prophecy. But honestly, if baby is anterior again next midwife appointment, I will be overjoyed!

-Meg

iVillage Member

Thanks, Amanda!

Reading up on posterior and back labor from Spinning Babies, both helps put it in perspective, and gives me less automatic fear of it:

http://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/all-positions/myths-about-op

And thank you for the hypnobabies MP3 suggestion... if this one isn't anterior by next week's visit, I will try that as well as the pelvic exercises and so on. Even if something isn't proven to help, if it's harmless and might, I would try it... but I also have the idea that OP posittion isn't an automatic sentence of doom.

Just hoping I don't have to go through difficulties because of it, but if I do, hoping I will find the inner resources to persevere.

Let's both of us try not to "borrow trouble" and just do what we can, and then take birth like it comes, because worst-case scenarios are rare, and if they strike, usually couldn't have been avoided by extra worry, anyway. Positive thoughts to you too! :)

-Meg

iVillage Member
Thanks, Kara!
I don't expect labor to be fun, exactly, in any case, but yes, it can be better or worse depending on a lot of things, and hoping that it will turn out to be anterior by the time I go into labor.
How are you and the babies, by the way?

-Meg

iVillage Member

Aww! Not cool!

Ashley

Proud wife and babywearing, BFing, homeschooling, CDing, sorta-crunchy WAHM of Monkey (4/2008) and Kangaroo (1/2011), waiting on a new squishy 1/2014

iVillage Member

Thanks, Ashley!

Now that you mention it, in the HBAC pics, the one where you can see my DS's head halfway out with the sac still unbroken? His face is coming out facing my right thigh, not face-down either, so it must be ok, because that wasn't so bad. He didn't come out in the anterior position and no one mentioned it, and I never even thought to think about it til now... so maybe I am getting my cart a little ahead of my horse.

-Meg