Any Good and Safe Cold Remedies?

iVillage Member
Any Good and Safe Cold Remedies?
Sat, 01-08-2011 - 4:17pm
Does anyone know of anything I could do/take for a really wicked cold? I've been coughing constantly and sneezing (really not working well for me since the baby stays on my bladder!) and I feel like I'm losing my mind! The sneezing I can handle, the coughing, not so much. I cough until I can't catch my breath, and it's made my stomach really sore. What sort of natural or not things could I do to help??
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 10:07am

Let's see: no Benadryl, no Robitussin (not even plain),

I do know you can take Doxylamine Succinate while pregnant... in the US it is marketed as a sleep aid, but what it actually is, is an antihistamine that is safe for pregnancy, that also acts as an anti-nausea agent, and yes, makes you sleepy. It's used in Canada along with B-6 vitamin, to combat Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

However, that won't stop the cough. I had a nasty cough late term and I remember how much it hurts the belly.. seemed like I was pulling muscles in my sides! I used a hot steam vaporizer to keep the night air from being too dry, and took those Alacer Emergen-C vitamin fizzy packets, because I don't think I ever found out any cough suppressants safe for pregnancy.

You could ask a pharmacist though. They have been the most knowledgeable and helpful people on the planet to me, when I have a drug question, or a drug/herb interaction question, esp. regarding pregnancy. The ones who will stop what they are doing and look something up for you are the best, and they also confirmed to me the safety of the Doxylamine Succinate.

Sorry I couldn't point you to a pg-safe cough suppressant, but a good pharmacist is my best recommendation there. You just have to make sure you get, maybe by prescription, one that has ONLY that ingredient, because all the over-the-counter ones also tend to have several other things in them that are NOT safe for pregnancy, especially the antihistamine ingredients.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from that annoying cough. It really went around, if it's the one that seems to linger week after week?

Ugh, I know! Ricola cough drops probably wouldn't hurt so long as you don't eat a bag of them at a time.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 10:10am
elderberry syrup and honey can both be used safely to treat a cold and cough.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 11:42am

i had a yucky cold with a pretty wicked cough a couple of months ago ...the thing that helped me most was the double vapor halls cough drops....they were great

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 2:52pm

I'm so sorry you are feeling so rotten!

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 5:40pm
Thanks for the replies! I've tried alot of the suggestions, but not the honey yet. I'm definitely going to give it a try and see how it helps. I feel like I've ripped my poor stomach up with the coughing (which is 100 times worse at night!)
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-09-2011 - 9:24pm
here's another one. You put vick's on your feet and then cover with socks. It is supposed to help coughing at night. A strange trick and nobody knows why it works, but people swear by it. I'm not sure how safe regular vicks is during pregnancy, so I'd double check that, BUT the baby version of vicks is probably fine. My DD loves to have it (baby vicks) slathered on her feet and swears it stops the coughing. It sure seems to.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-10-2011 - 7:41am
Hot lemon tea (using fresh lemons) with some honey in it works really well for any kind of cold/flu. The steam helps break up any congestion and the fresh citrus in the lemon helps to kill off the virus.

Love Megs

Lilypie Maternity tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-10-2011 - 7:44am
There is some controversy on the safety of elderberry in pregnancy, as there is a risk of cyanide toxicity. Nothing's proven either way, so there's really no knowing. Just wanted to give a heads up so you were all aware. It probably is safe, though.

Love Megs

Lilypie Maternity tickers