Is anyone thinking about having another child?

iVillage Member
Is anyone thinking about having another child?
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 6:49pm

I got sick when cooking dinner the other night, and it was so much like pregnancy nausea that I took a test, even though I have no AF. Negative, but it made me think.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
If I'm the first, I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd love it! I'm definitely thinking about adding a third (and probably a couple more after that). We just took Ronan and Killian to the beach, and it was so nice.I really love having them be so close in age, and I'd like to have a few more in the next few years. My husband is definitely gung ho about having a lot of kids, so we're just sort of waiting to see when it'll happen. Not planning, but not preventing, either!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
you know, my husband says he doesn't want another child and that one is enough for him. However when Trey was 3 months old I thought I might be pregnant again and took a test. He wasn't nervous or upset about it in any way. I told him it was negative and he was just like, okay. I asked him how we would have explained it if it were positive and he just said what would there have been to explain? He just wasn't at all concerned about it. Maybe it isn't hopeless after all. He still says he doesn't want any more, but Trey is so much fun now. I know I want another one!!

iVillage Member

I actually just took a test yesterday and saw a faint blue line.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

We want 1 more if possible.

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
No baby thoughts here!
iVillage Member
Wow, Jennfier, it's great that you were able to store that much milk! Do know that frozen breastmilk doesn't carry the same active immune system protection because freezing kills the white blood cells, and it also can't then change nutritionally to customize to your older baby or toddler, as breastmilk does normally, but I'm still amazed and impressed that you have that much stored away, and frozen or not, that's such a cool thing to do to cover his bases no matter what you do. Way to go!

And if you don't mind my asking, how old is "old"? I'm 38, and thought I was just about the oldest mama here! DH and I are NTNP also but I haven't had a period and don't expect one any time soon, since it took a year to get AF back after #1 when I was 31, and 2 full years to get AF back after #2 when I was 35. I could be totally surprised and get AF back tomorrow, or it could be at 39 or 40...or possibly, never.

I do know that attitudes about maternal age have shifted with the winds of fashion over the decades. When my mother was having kids in 1970 and 1973, being 25 with her 1st was very old, compared to other Army wives who were 18 when they got hysterectomies because they had "completed their families"! Then when i was in high school, it was just sort of understood that getting married and starting a family before 30 just wasn't done. Fast forward to now, and 18-24 yet married with children is gaining acceptance again, except in certain places like Berkeley and Seattle, Austin, etc where a cousin of mine was sort of embarrassed about the fact that she had her first child before 30, and got a lot of flack about it from her peer group, that 29 was SO YOUNG.

Strange, isn't it? So I was just curious what the thoughts are, on what is SO OLD... because I hear people saying they are fearful of having a baby past 30, or 35.. yet I am surrounded by both extremes. Where I live, a cashier at the checkout asked if James were my GRANDSON, and when I explained (a bit shocked) that I am only 38, she said, a bit put off, "well I had my first grandchild at 38!"

So here, there are families with great-great grandmothers still alive in some cases (where everyone had kids while still in their teens) and I am also surrounded by friends who had their most recent babies after 45 and thought nothing of it.

Just a fascinating thing, that there's so much dichotomy about maternal age, and no genuine cultural consensus about it, and so many notions about what's best medically, etc. I even hear opposing assumptions about anything under 24 being too young physically (which I think most of us know is untrue) and about anything over 30 being too old (ditto). Sorry to ramble, I guess this topic would be a neat one to repost and hear what everyone on the board has to say about the Age topic.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
We're having 2 more at least. Not talking about it though until after 18 months :). Baby K needs my milk and I want them at least 2.5 years apart.

Ashley

Proud wife and babywearing, BFing, homeschooling, CDing, sorta-crunchy WAHM of Monkey (4/2008) and Kangaroo (1/2011), waiting on a new squishy 1/2014

iVillage Member
I hear you about the milk needs, Ashley! That's why I am relieved I did not turn out to be pg! I don't know what I'd do if I were, because I get an aversion to meat in the first tri, and eat a lot of cheese and eggs, and each of my kids has been allergic to dairy, so if I still had to nurse James while pg with another, I'd have to get through pregnancy without any dairy or egg, and with meat turning my stomach (and both of my other kids allergic to soy) it would be hard.

-Meg

iVillage Member

Meg,

Jennifer . . baby