baby food maker?

iVillage Member
baby food maker?
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 8:27pm

For those who are planning to make your own baby food, did you or are you going to buy something fancy or use a standard blender or food processor or just skip purees all together?

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 9:00pm
I'm skipping purees this time because with Violet the few things I made mostly ended up being trashed anyway... I was wayyyy too lazy for spoons. I used my Magic Bullet blender and used formula (EBM if you're breastfeeding) to thin it out a little to blend better and it worked fine for me! I never felt the need to go out and buy a fancy food processor, but maybe if I had made more I would have.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 9:13pm
We bought a baby food mill but that's it. It wasn't too pricey and it's pretty simple. I am so not ready for DS to tackle solids yet...thinking over the long weekend for July 4 since we'll all be home.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-05-2011 - 9:42pm
My dad went and bought us the baby bullet lol I love him for it! I use it every 3 days to make more baby food.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 11:32am

I got the Kidco hand-crank (manual) babyfood mill with my first child in 2004, and have loved it with each child, because it's small enough to carry along in a diaper or travel bag or roomy purse, rinses clean easily at the sink, even the restaurant bathroom sink, and all you have to do is put some of your food from your plate, in it, and turn the handle, and feed directly from it, no muss or fuss. It won't grind salad or steak, obviously, but will turn some of your pasta dish into babyfood, or ground meat like hamburger or ground turkey, as well as soft-cooked (either boiled or well steamed) broccoli, rice, lentils, spinach, peas, carrots, cauliflower, baked potato, etc.

I love it because it has lasted through 3 kids (with replacing the little rubber gasket once or twice, but it comes with an extra), and doesn't need batteries, can go anywhere and turn any food within reason, into food the baby can eat, and is small, portable, convenient, simple, and cheap. The best part is, no need to pack extra dishes to feed out of, because the serving bowl is built right in, so I just needed a spoon. I'm looking forward to getting to use it again, and so glad I kept it even though I didn't think we'd be having another baby.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-18-2011 - 3:08pm
I just used the blender. Bu I am lazy. I tend to gravitate towards things that can be mashed easily like banana and avocado. Or things that don't need it at all, oatmeal, yogurt. I try to delay feeding bc it is so messy and time consuming!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11