Baby Led Weaning

iVillage Member
Baby Led Weaning
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 12:56pm

or BLW or Baby Led Solids.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 1:51pm
Yes, we plan to mostly BLW. I did mostly the same withDD. She wasn't interested in food, but the daycare insisted on solids around 8 months (since she pretty much refused to take a bottle). She was only eating lunch and snacks till about 18 months when she started wanting regular meals!

The main reason I dealt solids and prefer lW is bc feeding them early is time consuming and MESSY!! Hate it. So much easier to breastfeed!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 10:12pm
We did, did being the key word.

Every time I held him and ate he'd grab my food and eat it (no tongue thrust) and if I wasn't holding him he'd maneuver himself to get my food
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-29-2011 - 8:51am
Thanks for sharing that, Kate! I don't start food other than breastmilk before 6 months anyway, though I did start DS1 just a week ahead of 6 months if I remember, because he wanted my food, and it felt wrong to refuse to share, but I figured close enough. Anyway, my kids have food allergies long before they start solids, and seem to get new ones even at 3 and 5 years...so I figured one week wouldn't matter. What I won't do is force solids on a baby who doesn't want it. If all they want is mama milk til they are a year old, that's ok. It's not like they'll starve on it. I have a hand-crank Kidco babyfood mill which turns food from my plate into food for a baby who has no molars to grind with, and that works well, is convenient, and I really think it's why I have kids who amazed other parents, because they willingly and happily ate liver, broccoli, spinach, fish, seaweed, kimchi, sauerkraut, and you name it, from the get-go. I think it's because they were eating "real" food from the start. I don't even own a highchair anymore, but that's ok for now. I might get one later..but might just skip it this time, because it was more just a place to park a kid and keep them contained, and we have an exersaucer for that.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-29-2011 - 5:12pm
I don't know if eating real food from the start helps with pickiness or if extended breastfeeding helps , or if I was just lucky. My older DD eats most things. We never forced food, never had to, since she breastfed daily several times till she was 2 and then weaned on her own at her own pace. The doc said no worries even if she ate goldfish for a week! Maybe since there was a no pressure situation, she was really able to decide what she liked. Loves broccoli and spinach, doesn't like raw tomatoes or mushrooms (any way they come). I am mostly vegetarian, the kid loves meat!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11