Back to work

iVillage Member
Back to work
Wed, 04-06-2011 - 10:42am
I am headed back to work on april 13 and having very mixed feelings. I love my job and I absolutely adore my son, it's a no-win situation. We have a lovely daycare provider who is 2 minutes from my home but I work about 45 minutes away so Sebastian will be at her home from 8am - 5pm when DH picks him up. I feel like I have prepared for everything from a practical sense - pumping, bottles, stock of breast milk. We even have a swing and a bouncer like what we have at home to make things easier.

I, however, am just miserable at this point. I think Sebastian is feeling it as well since he was such a good napper for weeks and this week will not nap at all. He regularly slept from 1 1/2 - 3 hours in the morning the swing and this week he'll only sit in it for 20 minutes before getting upset. Yesterday he didn't take a nap until nearly 4 pm and was even awake while we drove 30 minutes each way to new mom group.

All this leads to the fact that I am afraid he'll be too much trouble at daycare since she has 4-5 kids of different ages and she'll kick us out. I am the larger earner in our family and I have the free health insurance so I need to go back to work but i'm really having a full-on existential crisis about the whole thing.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
In reply to: izzyd08
Thu, 04-07-2011 - 11:02pm
I'm sorry :( I know it really is hard as the day approaches. With my first, I waited until the week before to find daycare because I literally could not bare the idea of finding someone else to be her caretaker for any part of the day. It was really hard after I did go back to work, and I was only working part time, so I didn't even have it that bad compared to you. I know for sure it will be really hard for you, but having a caretaker you really like and trust will make it much easier. The older kids at daycare will probably love helping to take care of Sebastian so I think the daycare lady will welcome him as a new "activity" for them. And he will love watching them all play. I never took my first on playdates when she was an infant because I thought there wasn't anything she could possibly get out of it, but now that I see my second watch Violet and other children, it's so cool how she lights up. It will take some time for everyone to get adjusted but it'll work out! At the very least, you will eventually get used to the feeling of dropping him off in the morning. And at the very best (and I think this is the more likely outcome after some time) he will love his daycare friends and you will like having adult time during the day and quality family time at night.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 6:59pm

Izzy,

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2011 - 8:24am
Jennifer, you're lucky to only have 7 weeks to go. I'm back FT with only 8 vacation days left for the year. To top it off, Sebastian has his first cold so he's all full of phlegm, coughing and sneezing but, thankfully, without a fever. He can go to day care but I'm sending him for the first time with a cold.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility