Bottle feeding on demand

iVillage Member
Bottle feeding on demand
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 9:37pm

I have been a bfing Mom for my bio kids, but obviously cannot do that for dfs. But, the one thing I feel strongly about is feeding on demand. My little guy is about 3 months corrected age since he was a preemie, and eats every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-4 at night. He takes about 3-4 oz at each feeding. Right now he weighs 12 pounds, so according to the nutritionist this is right on target, he should be having about 24-28 a day.

Anyone else doing this, and not really scheduling feedings? I also feed him when he wakes at night, which is down to twice a night. He was neglected, so CIO is no an option for me. Anyhow, I was wondering how others were doing in this area. Any input welcomed!

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 11:14pm
I FF my first on demand and it went well for us! We did have a rough patch around 7 months maybe? of "overeating" and undersleeping or SOMETHING (still not sure what the exact issue was) which led to a loose feeding and napping schedule after an attempt at CIO. I 100% would not let DFS do that though, as you said. I think waking only twice is pretty good at this point for him, but I guess maybe in time if he doesn't adjust himself to STTN you could just attempt to feed him more or more often during the day and try to calm him with just a paci and rocking at night time? I honestly don't know when I would try it though.

I can't say enough times how much of an angel you are for that little guy :). I imagine it is harder to be so patient with a baby that is not "yours". You rock!
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 1:53pm
Just wondering if you are cosleeping?

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 7:14pm
Actually, we do some of both. My bed isn't big enough for me to comfortably sleep with him and to ensure that he sleeps propped up he takes up most of my space, LOL so we have been doing that He sleeps right next to my bed elevated in the swing at times, and other times next to the couch in a bassinette. Whatever it takes for a good night's sleep I am doing. He sometimes get fussy and still is having chest congestion from leftover RSV issues.
Our ped kind of chastised me for not trying to avoid feeding him, co-sleeping and allowing him to sleep in his swing. I tell you that this little one is getting whatever attention he needs, when he needs it.
The feedings are getting further apart, and I do think I am doing something right.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 8:15pm
I have heard that it really helps with adopted kids and attachment issues. I would think it is smart in your case. I would def feed on demand too. I think if he starts getting too heavy, address the issue then, ya know? Is he sleeping upright due to tummy trouble? I have heard hazel wood necklaces are good for many digestive problems, but havent tried it myself.

And you are doing he most important thing right. . . Loving that little guy.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-27-2011 - 11:29am
He doesn't have a concern of getting too heavy, he is 12.5 pounds now at 4 and a half months. he is a tiny little guy and still in 0-3 months clothing.
Whatever I am doing it working well, he is becoming very happy and content.
He also just achieved his first milestone! Rolling over from front to back.. which is pretty good considering he is 3.5 months corrected age.