Bummed :(

iVillage Member
Bummed :(
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 9:31pm
I had my 38 week appointment today. I'm GBS+ and will have to get the IV antibiotics, and the baby will be held at the hospital for 48 hours. These were two of the MAJOR reasons I decided to go natural this time, so I'm a little discouraged and not looking forward to labor and delivery anymore. It just sucks that before I'm even near close to labor, my birth plan is already screwed up! I'm hoping it's just the hormones making it a bigger deal than it needs to be and that after some sleep tonight I'll be able to accept it as my new plan.

On a completely hilarious note though, I actually found out about my + result last week and did some searches and whatnot to find that garlic is a natural GBS killer. So I had been stringing half a clove and feeding it to my hooha the past few nights with the intention of getting retested for a negative result... except last night I got over confident with my retrieval skills (and lazy) and didn't string it. So whadduya know, it got lost this morning! Hahaha. I tried fishing it out everytime I went to the bathroom today but ultimately had to look my midwife in the eye and ask her to take a stab at it (which is basically what it felt like she did, it was so far up there!). Good times! :). At least I know if there is ever a next time... DONT skip the string!!
iVillage Member
In reply to: sk8withk8
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 9:44pm
Jumping over from the may board. I am sorry your GBS+. That must have been interesting to have to ask your midwife to retrieve garlic. :)

On a side note. My birth didn't go as planned with my DD because my water broke at 33 weeks so they had never tested me for GBS. I was on lots of IV's. Her birth was still amazing and wonderful. I am sure whatever happens you have a great birth.

Mom to a 33 week preemie
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:26pm
OMG Kate...that has to be the most hilarious thing I have ever heard! I do feel bad you had to to have your MW dig it out, but what entertainment it has been reading this!

So sorry your birth plan has changed, hoping you can at least get partial of what you were dreaming of, I know that can be frustrating!

Who knows maybe the garlic will work...just don't forget the string next time!

Jenn
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:32pm

Kate,

That really sucks about the GBS thing... moreso because if you had been birthing in a different decade, no one would have made a big deal of it or insisted that you needed IV antibiotics, etc.

Garlic has been known to work, as have goldenseal suppositories, but one disquieting thing my midwife told me is that if you test positive AT ALL, even if you have a more recent test showing negative, they will still treat you as positive and insist on all the hoorah, even if you have just 1 initial pos, and several negatives after that,,, all they care about was the one pos.

I don't know if that holds true where you are planning to birth, but in your shoes I would want to know ahead of time whether they would just insist on treating you as positive even if a more recent test was neg, before jumping through hoops to try to get a neg test.

Then again, no harm in the garlic

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 11:30pm
Hey sorry to hear that this screwed up your birth plan, but don't worry to much!!! I was GBS+ with my first and the IV didn't even phase me! She came out fine and breastfed fine and all was swell! Try not to be too bummed, but hey we're all over emotional at this point so rage on if you have to!!

BTW, I thought you wrote you were feeding it to your honda....I thought to myself, what does that have to do with curing GBS! Hahaha!
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 7:36am

Lisa, thanks for writing in with something positive and uplifting about the GBS+ scenario! It's so nice to know that it doesn't have to mean the end of a natural labor and birth plan, and it's good to know things can and do still go well regardless! :)

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 2:07pm
Well, it is a bummer that they will hold the baby for 48 hours if you were planning an early release. Maybe you can push it after she gets here and all looks well. You know, whine that there is nobody to look after other DD, whatever it takes.

The IV shouldn't be such a big deal. They should just drip it in and then unhook you for awhile till you need another dose. That is how it was for my sis anyway. I can't remember how often they wanted to dose her. She was in labor for 48 hours and I think she only got 2 drips, although she did refuse anymore after a certain point cause they were having trouble with her veins and it was super painful for her. ANd she was laboring naturally, so I really can't beleive she noticed it but the damn thing bugged her. So anyway I guess I'm saying it may not be as big a deal as you think? Stay positive!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 9:39pm
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm still not thrilled about the IV but I think it was hormones taking over and causing me to overreact to it. The thing is, it's not the IV I'm so worried about, it's that damn medlock! I'll only need a 20 minute dose every 4 hours and I'll be able to remain mobile the whole time and labor in the tub when I'm not hooked to the IV so it shouldn't be too huge of a deal. However I told my midwife, I don't want to be a difficult patient but if that thing starts to bother me I WILL take it out and am willing to be stuck with a new needle each time. I guess the most upsetting part is feeling "forced" into something I don't want because of hospital policy, and feeling more like a patient in a hospital than a woman who just happens to be having a baby while at the hospital. I told Joe that if we ever get pregnant again, I will be having a homebirth (assuming it's allowed in MD) because all I want to do is just be left alone to have my baby!

Oh and the extra stay sucks big time no matter how I look at it, especially considering I will be discharged after 24 and she needs to stay 48, and I had every intention of us both leaving within hours assuming everything seemed well! Hopefully my midwives will work with me there because I know the pediatrician won't. And I can't imagine having to leave her there alone just because there's a 1/200 chance something MIGHT go wrong! Yeesh.

I'm glad everyone else found the garlic situation amusing :). I'm still giggling at myself over it :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-24-2010 - 6:43am

Kate,
I totally get where you're coming from, and hope you do get to pursue that homebirth dream next time! And I also hope this will be just fine, too.... but if anyone could sympathize with why it would bother you to feel that you might get turned into a patient instead of a birthing woman, I do. Fingers crossed that it won't be like that.

-Meg