Can we get a head-count, post-Sandy?

iVillage Member
Can we get a head-count, post-Sandy?
Fri, 11-02-2012 - 11:13pm

Here's hoping everyone is safe and accounted for. 

We had some power outages, but that was it, in Maine. 

Who was, or wasn't, affected by the hurricane? 

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-04-2012 - 8:04pm

I'm in Florida, so no effects from this storm.  I've lived through my share of them though, and prayers go out to all those in the storm path!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 7:49am
Good to hear from you! How's the family?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 7:34pm

Looks like just the 2 of us left Meg!!  I don't think it has as much to do with Sandy as with the board changes.  I don't like the changes but I'll get use to them I guess.

My family is great.  16 weeks pregnant and we find out the gender the week after Thanksgiving!  Trey grabbed my hand and led me to the bathroom yesterday and tried to get onto the potty.  I bought him a potty seat today and I guess the potty training adventure begins! 

How is your family?

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-10-2012 - 8:41pm

I'm still here, but apparently Ivillage doesn't want me to post any comments anymore!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 6:51am

What happened, PlaidScarf? 

You had to make a new user account in order to post? I had no idea you were having trouble, or I would have at least escalated it to CM Kristy for help. Can you describe the problem so I can look into it for you? Glad to see you again, though! :) How are the boys and you?

-Meg

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-11-2012 - 7:31am

Hey Jennifer,

I can't wait to find out what you're having! And how cool is that, to be almost out of diapers? James showed a lot of interest in pottying on and off since he was a year old, and I know I should have taken the bull by the horns and done it, but this time, I just didn't feel at any point like right then, was a good time to drop everything for a week, and stay home potty training in earnest (where you have to take them to the potty every hour on the hour at first, and then every 2 hours once they get that diapers aren't an option anymore). So now, you could say I'm having most people's experience...James actually went through a period of fussing and resisting when I went to put a diaper on him, and I should have done it then, too, and didn't. Now, I tell myself after Christmas would be the best time (my sister is coming for 2 weeks, to stay with us, at Christmas again), and that the world won't end if he isn't out of diapers before age 2, because I pt'd my daughter right after she turned 2, and it was fine. 

Using disposable diapers this time, does make it more easy to put it off. I know if he were still in cloth, he'd be out of diapers by now for sure! 

The other kids are growing up so fast, suddenly, it seems. Michael just had his 5th birthday, and Hope turned 8 in September. We got her The Logic of English (a phonics, spelling, and grammar curriculum and textbook popular with homeschoolers and schools alike) and she's learning spelling, grammar, etc. a lot better now, because of it. She had a LOT of letter reversals and even writing backwards, with manuscript, but learning cursive solved that problem immediately, so I will be teaching Michael cursive right from the beginning, using age-appropriate gross motor movements, for his phonics training, starting soon, maybe even this week, as he has asked me to teach him to read, and I want him to have the benefits of Cursive First training.

James went through a phase of always wanting to draw, which was great, because I could sit him at the table with crayons or a pencil, and get work done in the kitchen. But now all he wants to do is paint, and that is another kettle of fish...can't just let him do that while I do other things!

Also, his little talking explosion has started recently...all my kids didn't say all that much until close to 2, and then quadrupled their vocabularies overnight. So he's saying new things every day it seems. I had to just ignore the new guidelines that they have to be saying X many words by X many months or else they must have a problem. Reminds me of clinical textbook ideas of how long labor should take, and docs who think that any variation from that, must be pathological.

But we're doing well, and looking forward to Christmas, at the same time, being a little alarmed at how soon it is, because we want to go carolling, and do wonderful things together, and don't want shopping and gifting to overtake all that. It's a yearly struggle.

-Meg

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 1:12pm

Hi everyone! I'm still around, I just have to log in to post about 50 times before I'm allowed to make a reply because I'm "not authorized to comment", haha! Ronan is definitely his own little person now, he has a major quick temper and just collapses on the ground when he's annoyed. He loves his little sister, though, and asks me if he can pet her all day, she has a ton of hair and I guess he assumes she's like our cat! My oldest just turned 3 two weeks ago, Ronan will be 2 in 2 months, and Delaney is almost 8 months old. Our new one is expected in mid-May, and we'll find out the gender the day after Christmas. I'm trying to get all of our Christmas shopping done before the 24th this year (it's never happened for me yet!) but it's super difficult to get anything done with all three kids with me all the time! We've not started the potty training with Ronan yet, but I'd like to at least get him prepared for it by the spring.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers