Cereal Anyone?

iVillage Member
Cereal Anyone?
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 12:54pm

Hi Ladies...thought I'd check in and also find out if anyone is onto cereal yet?

Wwe broke down and did it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 1:48pm
I am certainly not judging you for starting solids. I have always been a "whatever works for you" type of girl. I have never believed that one thing works for everyone. That being said, I wanted to give you a link that has the reason to delay solids, since you were interested.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
I don't know if I buy everything that the American Acadamy of Pediatrics puts out, but this info seems to be widely accepted by many organizations.

Again, not judging but just sharing the info that I have used to make my decision :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 2:42pm

I was told by our dr. to start solids at 4 months.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 3:07pm

it isn't just because of obesity...there are many reasons they don't recommend it including the fact that it fills their stomachs up with something that has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever....and waiting decreases chances of having allergies to it in the future. Young tummies under 4 months are not meant to handle that in their bellies

With that said, I wouldn't do it. . .but I know lots of people who have

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 3:09pm

just to add.....doctors don't recommend cereal at all anymore because of the low nutritional factor in it

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 6:14pm
It's purely a we firmly believe he's developed acid reflux and want to keep it at bay! Poor little guy is soaking himself and we've tried everything...this was last resort!

I wasn't able to establish a supply due to a surgery I had and so he's bottlefed! Sad, I know, but it's life!

Cross our fingers this helps, I really don't want to be pumping meds into him yet...

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 6:17pm
Yeah I mentioned the sleeping thing, it just surprised me is all! I could care less if he sleeps all night or not! I just feel so terrible about the puking and am trying to help that more or less!

Crossing my fingers so we don't have to move to meds at his next appointment.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 11:08pm

if you're giving it to him solely because of acid reflux and no other reason then i can completely understand the need for it, and in those cases it is recommendd by most doctors to put cereal in the bottle to help

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-24-2011 - 11:25pm
I delayed solids until well after 6 months with my first. It's mainly a laziness thing - she ate a few purees but was really able to eat chunky foods and bites almost right away since I waited long. I also wanted to wait for her digestive system to mature.

In the case of reflux, I probably would try cereal before meds too. I'm not too keen on putting anything but milk in my little baby, but it seems like cereal would be a more natural thing than medications. I hope it works for you guys! Are you spoon feeding or putting it in his bottle? It's so cute to see them with their messy faces when spoon feeding so that's one more reason I totally don't blame you for starting cereal :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-25-2011 - 6:37am

We had to give it to our son even though I didn't want to when he had RSV because he was vomiting due to his cough.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-25-2011 - 9:29pm
I'm petrified to put it in the bottle...I don't know why, but I am. He does great with a spoon and chomps down on it! Opens wide and just makes a face because of the texture, then just uses his tongue to move it and swallow.

So far the puking is minimal...crossing my fingers it stays this way! We're only giving it a couple times a day, so not too often.

Pages