Cluster feeding?

iVillage Member
Cluster feeding?
Fri, 02-18-2011 - 10:51am

Ok... So DS is 7 weeks old now and the past two days he has been insatiable. He eats and eats and eats. Last night he was feeding from about 12:45 till about 3:30 straight. I even gave him 4 oz of a bottle after he BF and he still wanted more. I've read that cluster feeding is normal when they are going through a growth spurt and that after they feed like that they'll usually sleep for a while.... That's the problem. He's not sleeping any more than normal. Actually he only slept 4 hours total and he's still up now.

Is this normal? Is anyone else dealing with a baby that's being a bottomless pit? We had problems before with him being sick because of over feeding. He doesn't know when to stop. But then he's screaming if I don't feed him more. What am I supposed to do? So Frustrating!!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-18-2011 - 3:17pm
We've had some cluster feeding as well. Usually he'll fall asleep after a good run of feeding hourly for a while.

Now we're dealing with wicked gas that doesn't go away with burping or pooping. 4 nights in a row and no end in sight.

Wish I had some advice

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-18-2011 - 5:29pm

What did you mean, when you say he got sick from overfeeding? If you meant spitups, that doesn't usually mean he's eating too much, because babies can have spitup regardless of how much or how little they have eaten.

Anything that bothers a baby can also make them want to nurse more, so if there's anything, be it gas pains, reflux, just not feeling held enough...anything at all can cause them to want to nurse more and it's not necessarily from hunger. But if he really is that hungry, like you said, growth spurt.

Sorry he's not sleeping as much as you would expect! Hope it all smooths out in a while, but usually these things do. Hang in there, Mama! Unless a baby has a rare genetic flaw that prevents them from ever getting a sense of being full (rare but has been known to happen) they probably aren't in danger of overeating. He's just lucky he has you for a mom, because even though it's hard on you, you're responding to his needs. HUGS.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-19-2011 - 10:00am

I agree with Meg.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-20-2011 - 1:50pm

He was throwing up quite a bit after feedings and screaming anytime he was awake. The first doctor we went to said we were overfeeding him and told us to cut back...then he lost weight! I was so frustrated and mad. So we just went to another doctor and he said it sounded like Reflux. We are on Zantac now and he seemed like he was doing better but then yesterday sucked! He is a horrible burper. He absolutely hates it and screams the whole time. He only actually gets a burp up a couple times a day. I'm sure that's making him not feel good.

I just feel like no 7 week old baby should have to go through this much crap!

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-20-2011 - 9:09pm
(((HUGS)))

I hope he is better soon.

Take care,

Jenn
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-24-2011 - 5:27pm
I don't know if u live in an area wher this is possible, but he may benefit from a chiropractic adjustment. It made all the difference for my daughter and spitting up. It was like magic! Can't fix the cluster feeding, though if he is more comfortable he may sleep better. I wouldn't go to any chiro, but find one who works with babies.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-26-2011 - 8:55am

Keri,

What you are describing, the screaming whenever awake, and the nursing issues (don't listen to a doc who tells you to cut back on breastfeeding ,that is ignorant bunk, as illustrated by your baby losing weight when you followed that advice)... I hate to say it, but that sounds exactly like my previous two babies before I quit dairy from my diet. Or, it could be foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which I hope for your sakes that that is all it is, because that's easy to fix. Are the stools foamy or frothy and/or greenish? If they are green and mucousy, that's probably somethinng else, but foamy/frothy and yellow or green, is most likely foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and can be fixed by nnursing a couple of times at one breast before switching to the other so the baby gets more rich hindmilk and less gassy foremilk.

If there are rashes and mucousy stools or other stool problems, more likely food sensitivity.

With my

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com