Completely Confused. . .

iVillage Member
Completely Confused. . .
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 9:27am

I had my first ultrasound yesterday. I had a miscarriage in October so they've been checking my levels and wanted to do an early ultrasound. They did not do a vaginal ultrasound but a regular on the belly one. The sac and baby looked great and the heartbeat was 123. Last night, when I got home from a movie, I found brown blood in my underwear, in the toilet and on the toilet paper. I was also cramping. I freaked out, and all I could say was "not again." I called the doc and his first sentence was "let me think. I'm really confused." He said that the baby and sac looked wonderful, but that he was concerned about a crescent shaped spot outside of the sac that was a bruise. He said 50% of women have them that he sees. He said that maybe it had ruptured and was causing the bleeding. The only other thing that had him concerned was the fact that he couldn't get as good of a look at the baby as he would like because of the sac being so close to the uterine wall. He said I can come in today if I needed it for peace of mind (with the long weekend and all), but that he really won't be able to tell me anything for 5-7 days. He said the best thing to do is wait. There's still blood in the toilet and on the paper, but it's still brown. I'm still nauseous and my breasts are still sore. He said it would be very unusual for me to miscarry 4 hours after seeing the heartbeat.

I'm so scared. Has anyone had anything like this before? I'm trying to decide if I should go in or wait it out. I'm leaning toward waiting it out since there's not anything he could do either way. He's also more of a glass half empty kind of guy, and I don't think I need that right now. On the other hand seeing that little heart beat would be so nice right now. Sigh. . .

Thanks ladies.

Laci

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 11:27am

Remember brown blood is good. It's the bright red that's bad. And cramping is normal. Your uterus is getting ready to do some major upgrading in the size area.

So if the blood turns to bright red, that's when you really worry. But I know with your history that it's a scary thing to see regardless of whether it's normal or not.

I will be praying for you

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 12:21pm
I think brown blood is no big deal because it means old blood. And since you had just seen the little heart beating, you know it's not from the baby. So maybe try and wait it out? Is there no way to get you in for a vaginal ultrasound? they're a lot better at seeing things this early on and in more detail.
Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 1:30pm

Thanks so much for the reassurance. I can't tell you how much I needed it! :)

I'm going in for an appointment at 5. I think I just want to see the heartbeat still there after the bleeding started.

I'll let you ladies know what they say. Again, thank you for the kind and encouraging words! This board is shaping up to be filled with some wonderful ladies who I really hope I get the privilege of getting to know over the next 9 months!

Laci

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 6:09pm
I know it's already said, but it's worth repeating.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 7:56pm

I had another ultrasound today. The heartbeat went up from 123 yesterday to 132 today. The sac and fetus looked good. THe odd thing is that my doc said he has a "sixth sense" that I'm going to miscarry. He said something about it doesn't seem right to him, but he couldn't put his finger on what it was. It was so strange. I'm changing docs. I loved the doc that delivered my daughter but we're in a new state now. I have half a mind to drive back to Virginia for another opinion. Somehow his sixth sense isn't enough for me. I'm going to be happy that the heartbeat went up and the baby looks great for the time being!

Laci

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 8:32pm
That might be the worst thing I've ever heard a doctor say! "I have no medical reason for saying this, but you're going to miscarry". UGH! Forget him. Your baby is doing even better today than yesterday, take that and leave him!
Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 8:46am
That's just ridiculous!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 7:46am

Oh, Lisa!
For a doc to say something so absurd as "I have a sixth sense you're going to miscarry!" !!!!!
First off, if he had *any* sense, he would say no such thing even if he had cause, real cause, to suspect you would, because all it would do is make you miserable in the meantime, and sometimes the worst DOESN'T happen.

Secondly, it sounds like he doesn't even know his own business, if he is "confused" by brown blood, and doesn't realize there's nothing scary about that.

Lastly, that sounds to me like he is trying to cover his bases so that he can sound wise and all-knowing, now that you had brown blood which he didn't know enough to reassure you was not a threat.

I would tell him that if you wanted mystical foretellings, you would hire a shaman, and find someone more willing to practice evidence-based medicine and less likely to try to protect his own ego at your expense!

rant over. That was just completely idiotic. But brace yourself, it is probably not the last idiotic thing you will hear. http://myobsaidwhat.com/ has some great whoppers, that are good for a laugh, and some perspective!

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com