Constant guilty feeling

iVillage Member
Constant guilty feeling
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 10:40am

Ok, prior to pregnancy I was the fittest that I have ever been.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 11:38am

People in Mexico eat nothing but Mexican food and their children come out perfectly fine so your child is not going to come out "wrong" because you ate Mexican food. Honest.

If you ate nothing but candy all day that would be another issue. There are enough things to feel bad about as a parent - let this go and eat what your body is wanting. Feeling guilty about it is just stressing you out and as a result stressing baby.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 11:42am
Well you're certainly not alone. I was by no means in the best shape, but I wasn't entirely the opposite side of that spectrum either. I was doing very well on weight gain until my bf came for a visit. We did a whole lot of eating out that weekend and I doubled my weight gain from 4 to 8 lbs. It's also getting harder to find foods that sound good or even taste good. This entire pregnancy I've been unable to eat chicken as it just tastes bad. Lol. I tend to try and eat mini meals rather than 3 big meals and have been avoiding the scale. Yes, I'm a coward, lol. I'm just hoping to not gain beyond a certain point and just giving in to the cravings within reason. Hugs.
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 11:51am

I understand how you are feeling; yesterday, I had pudding for lunch. Yep. Pudding. With Cool Whip.

And I'm a fanatic about maternal diets and health, but every once in a while, I indulge in a small treat because for me, if I don't, I will be obsessing about the craving until I finally get it.

So here's the deal: Yes, what you eat affects your baby. You should be getting a balanced diet of fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein, taking a pre-natal vitamin AND a Vitamin D supplement, watching your calories and exercising regularly. But indulging every once in a while is not, IMHO, going to do lasting damage to your baby.

If you were not eating any fresh fruits or vegetables, if all you ate was fast food, high fat food, were consuming 5000 calories a day, and considered frozen pizza its own food group, I would say you need to change your ways. I try for the 90% rule: If I eat healthy and consciously 90% of the time, I'm doing okay. If my weight gain is within normal limits and recommendations, I'm okay. I do not ascribe to the theory that "Our bodies will gain whatever they need so eat what you want," that's just not true.

I do believe our maternal health and weight gain and diets affect our babies, but we can't be perfect 100% of the time and you can't beat yourself up for eating cheesy enchiladas once in a while.

Btw - instead of snacking all day on carbs, have a bag of sliced up red bell peppers available in your fridge, protein load in the morning (eggs, leftover chicken breasts from dinner, turkey sausage, heck, even a leftover lean pork chop will do the trick), and when you do get Mexican food, go for the grilled fajitas and corn tortillas instead of the enchiladas with cheese. Skip the beans and rice. Start your day with a ton of protein and I guarantee, you won't be snacking all day.

Good luck- stop beating yourself up!!! Shoot for 90% healthy and you'll be fine. And your weight gain so far is fantastic so you are doing something right. :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 11:58am

Oh, and btw, people in Mexico do not eat the portions we do, use corn tortillas instead of flour, and don't rely on cheese as a main component in their meals. "American" Mexican food is much more unhealthy than traditional Mexican cuisine that is based around vegetables and meat.

My friends who are from Mexico and Nicaragua who cook for me make things like posole (a broth soup with a bit of meat and hominy in it), grill most of the food, garnish with fresh sliced vegetables or marinated vegetables, use cheese sparingly, and eat beans and rice as whole proteins instead of just carbs (its the way its paired).

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:18pm

Just do the best you can.

Audra - Mommy to Sofia Isabella 4/4/08

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2010 - 2:26pm
Oh my god, don't apologize! Believe me! I said the same thing. Even when my doctors told me I had to gain 45 lbs, I said it would be the "healthy" way. Honestly though, you do the best you can, and your baby won't be worse off for it either way. I hear you on the pizza/pasta thing. Cheese, yum. I do eat only whole wheat, or the omega 3 pasta, so I feel like that's a start. And maybe instead of getting takeout pizza make it at home? Whole wheat crust, or use a tortilla (I love tortilla pizzas, and they're quick in the toaster oven). I try to sneak spinach or peppers or something in with all the cheese too so I feel like I'm getting some veggies in there. Also, if you're craving salty, how about edemame with salt on it? Still get the salt, but also get lots of protein in there. And aside from that, take it easy on yourself :)
Photobucket

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 10:32am

This is off topic, but I had to say that I also have a friend from mexico (i think she came here when she was 19) but anyway, she makes the most amazing food.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 11:32am
I love those tortillas! And the white, crumbly mexican cheese to go on tacos; it's much less greasy than cheddar.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 11:48pm

In my mother's day, it was popular medical advice to tell pregnant women to LIMIT their salt intake, like lower than normal people, and to only gain 15 lbs total! Well, now they know that is terrible advice, and a good thing most women either ignored it or couldn't make themselves follow it.

You need more sodium than a nonpregnant woman, in order to safely increase your blood volume.
You also need considerably more protein. How much is up for debate and probably varies from person to person, but eating protein as if I were a male bodybuilder did reverse my rise in blood pressure with my first child. That was on the advice of a nurse. It worked.

If it makes you feel any better, this is my 3rd child, and each has been different, in terms of cravings, aversions, etc. And this time, when I tested positive, I actually thought I would drink no soda (diet only anyway, can't have sugar) and eat "perfectly" like I pretty much accomplished with my son last time.

Well, I got hit with the first tri from heck, and like you, ate whatever I could tolerate. It tended to be whopper juniors and taco bell. Diet cola tended to be my salvation when the nausea was the worst, or for the headaches, diet soda plus tylenol. This is me, the crunchy woman who made her own almond milk from scratch, buys only organic apples and celery, works out 3X a week (except for the first 15 or 16 weeks of pregnancy, when I totally couldn't do it this time!) etc. Me, eating whopper juniors and drinking diet coke.

You know what? I am still having a healthy pregnancy: great blood pressure, everything. Being at peace emotionally (it does affect your hormones!) is at least as important for the baby's wellbeing, as nutrition. You need *adequate* nutrition, not some pinnacle of a diet book's idea of perfection and a load of stress.

I was worried about getting enough veggies, because like you, for a while, I just couldn't stand them all of a sudden. You know what I did? I bought a bunch of V-8 and had some in the morning, and some in the evening, and some for a snack when I felt like it, and didn't worry any more. They even have a Fusion thing with vegetable juice masked by fruit juice if you don't like the taste of v-8.

Best wishes, and take care. You don't have to be perfect to be a good and healthy mother. For perspective, think of all the pregnant women in the 60's and 70's, living on Jello, Kool Whip, Canned fruit in heavy syrup, and meals based on Manwich, Spam, and cream of mushroom soup with potato chips crumbled up on top of these ghastly canned-food-and-pasta-or-rice-casseroles that were so popular then. Talk about bad nutrition!

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com