darker skineed babies

iVillage Member
darker skineed babies
Sun, 07-17-2011 - 9:23pm

My foster son is of mixed race. He had a honey-colored skin for the most part. When we were on vacation at the beach and pool, despite wearing a hat and onesie, being smeared in sunblock, and being covered by a blanket overhead, he did get darker, espeically in the legs. I was just wondering if this is typical, because some of my extended family have made me feel rather guilty about it.

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 8:55am

Grr, I just lost my entire post.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-18-2011 - 6:11pm
Thank you, Cindy! I know I did whatever I could have/should have. I will just shrug off the few comments I have gotten and realize he will probably be like this every summer. It is one person in particular, and a few people we bumped into at the pool who didn't know his situation that said something..

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-19-2011 - 12:03pm
Perfectly normal! My son is mixed and is a darker lighter color LOL and no matter how much sun screen we put on him the only way to keep him from getting dark is to cover all his skin with clothes.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-20-2011 - 10:33am
No worries! Also just wanted to point out that he may never be as light as he was at birth, The pigment in the skin is light in the beginning and darkens up (maybe over the first entire year). Some dark skinned children look almost white at birth. This is based on the experience of my cousin, and some friends, so take with a grain of salt. But he may also just be darkening up to his color! Unless he got a sunburn, you did your job.

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-24-2011 - 6:22pm
People with darker skin are SUPPOSED to get darker, and everyone needs Vitamin D, and recent studies are showing that despite Vit D in milk and other products, apparently the majority of Americans are deficient, and that apparently people do need at least some sun, to be healthy. It's not like you're letting him get sunburned. But if you kept him in all the time, and he got what would be for him, unhealthfully pale, his bones and immune system wouldn't develop normally. And darker skinned people do need more exposure to UV in order to make the amount of Vit D they need.

It's too bad people feel like they must cast uninformed judgment on someone who is obviously doing her best, and a great job, caring for him. If he were ghostly pale, that would be sickly for his ethnicity. I'm sorry they seem to think that whereas you obviously know what you're doing with your first 3, that somehow you don't, when it comes to this one.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com