Do you do anything differently from how you envisioned, now?

iVillage Member
Do you do anything differently from how you envisioned, now?
Thu, 04-21-2011 - 9:43pm

Anyone had any changes of heart about how they do things with their baby? I seem to recall having a lot of ideas about how I would do things, when I had my first, and some of them stuck, and some didn't. How have things changed, in your expectations, or how you do things, now, as opposed to the beginning, or before you had the baby?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member

I'll throw some things out there:

Pertaining to my other kids, I was letting them watch more TV than I ever thought I would when I first became a mother. Not all day, certainly, but more than I intended, because I didn't want TV to be an important part of their lives, and yet it did get that way. Not broadcast, and no commercials, just Barney and the Wiggles and such, but again, more screen time than I originally intended.

I have also become a lot more lax on some things, and more careful on others. Lax: I don't give a flying fig whether beds get made, either mine, or the kids'.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
With my first baby, I never left him with anyone until he was 11 months old, and even then I didn't want too ( I had to go to the hospital for early contractions!) I thought I wouldn't leave Ronan til he was around that age, but a few weeks ago my mom offered to watch both boys while I went to a movie with my husband, and I jumped at the offer! With Killian I cried when I thought about having to leave him when I went to have Ronan, but now I'm like..hmm, maybe my mom could watch them again...It was definitely nice to get out without both babies! I've only done it once, but I hope to do it again soon. I never thought I'd actually need to get away for a few hours!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Oh, since having my second I have also come to realize how AWESOME it is to have time with no children! I was never away from my first overnight before giving birth at the hospital, and I never voluntarily gave her away or even took up offers for a break, but now I'm like "YES, PLEASE TAKE HER SHOPPING GRANDMOM!" haha
iVillage Member
LOL I thought I'd be like "Mom watch LO so I can work out" but I'm like " *bawling* NoooooI can't leave him!"
iVillage Member

Meg, my rule of thumb about my bed is that it's an energy saving model.

Photobucket