Eleanor Ruby arrived at 36 weeks!

iVillage Member
Eleanor Ruby arrived at 36 weeks!
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 11:57am

Eleanor Ruby made a surprise entrance into this world on Saturday, December 18th at 1:08 a.m. She weighed 6 lbs and 13 oz and was 18.5 inches long.

Here's the story:

I woke up last Wednesday night with what felt like menstrual cramps. Since I was pre-37 weeks Todd and I decided to go ahead and call the doctor and she asked us to go into the ER and just get checked to make sure everything was OK. The cramps were constant and accompanied I felt them mostly in my back, but at this point they were bearable. They checked me and the baby and said we were OK, and I wasn't dilated at all. We thought it was just a false alarm and assumed the contractions would end soon enough. We never saw or spoke to a doctor.

We went home and I tired to get comfortable. At this point the pain became concentrated only one one side -- the left -- and started getting much stronger. I felt it mostly in my back and the pain radiated around to the base of the left side of my belly. I was in a lot of pain, and I was moaning through contractions. I thought I was just being a huge wimp. I got in the tub, tried deep breathing and some poses from your childbirth class and nothing was working. We called the doctor again and she said I sounded much worse and I should go back to the ER. It had been about three hours since we left.

Back in the hospital they hooked me up to monitors and gave me some Stadol for the pain. I was in desperate need of relief, and at that point my plans for a natural birth went out the window. (I have to say the meds really didn't do much though.) My pain was constant but the nurses were telling my that my contractions were three to five minutes apart and pretty strong. It all felt strong to me! But I wasn't dilated and wasn't progressing and after a few hours they said there wasn't anything they could do for me, so they sent me home again.That was last Thursday morning and I had a regular OB appointment that Friday afternoon so they said we'd check to see if I was progressing them. Again, a doctor never came to see us once.

The pain continued throughout the day Thursday -- constant, intense pain -- and I began to feel like I was going to lose it. Mentally, I was breaking down. It had been about 36 hours of nonstop suffering -- no eating, no sleeping, no break in the pain -- when our doula came over Friday afternoon. By this point I could not walk. She showed us some positions and tried to get us an appointment to see a chiropractor because she thought maybe I had a pinched nerve or something that they could help with. She tried to pump me up, tell me I was strong and could handle it, but later she said she felt like something was seriously wrong. After meeting with her, we went to our regular doctor appointment -- I wasn't wearing shoes, didn't bring my purse, neither one of us had cell phones -- thinking it would just be a quick trip and we'd be home. Ha!

Like I said, I couldn't walk at this point. I was doing my deep breathing and moaning through the pain. Everyone kept asking if I was in labor. I had to be wheeled up to my OB's office and when we finally got back to see a doctor (not my doctor -- another one in the practice) she took one look at me and said something was seriously wrong. She pressed on my belly and I screamed in agony and they rushed me off to labor and delivery. The doctor suspected a placenta abruption and was concerned. We all were.

They monitored me for several hours and said I was having contractions lasting 7-9 minutes about 30 seconds apart and the baby was totally stressed out. The signs all pointed to a serious problem, so the on call doctor suggested an emergency C section, saying that it was likely that my life and the baby's was at risk. Todd and I agreed. When I went in for the section the doctor discovered the real problem -- I had a cyst the size of his fist and my left fallopian tube got wrapped around it at some point and died. It was inflamed and pressing against my uterus, causing the contractions. Obviously, I lost the fallopian tube -- good thing I've got another one! It was a scary ordeal. At one point during the C section I heard the doctor say, "I've never seen anything like that!" Not exactly what you want to hear when you're cut open on the operating table!

Eleanor was born at 1:08 a.m. and, as you can imagine, it took a while for them to get her breathing. When I finally heard those cries it was so, so sweet! She has been in the NICU since then. In these last couple of days she has mastered breathing on her own, and regulating her own body temperature. Now she and I just need to learn how to breastfeed and we should be OK. She is off oxygen and off her warming bed and they are hoping to get her off her IV tomorrow or so. I think I'm going to be released from the hospital tomorrow, but they say she'll probably be here until Friday. Hope to have her home for Christmas, but we'll see!

We are just so thrileld that she is here and doing so well. Oh -- and I am thrilled that the pain is finally over. Holy cow!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 12:59pm
Wow, what an entrance and first time experience. My first was a section too, but in a different way!

I'm sorry they didn't catch this earlier for you. Sounds as if you were just destined for the section though since there was much more going on! I found my first section to be a breeze and bounced back quickly from it! I hope you are able to have a VBAC later down the road, if that is what you want!

She is a good size for a 36 weeker and it sounds like she will be at home soon.

You sound so upbeat and hope you are able to cope with the loss of the fallopian tube and c-section. I'm willing to bet you will be just fine! But lean on support when you need it!

Take care and hope your little Eleanor is home in time for Christmas!

Jenn
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 2:18pm

Welcome to the world little Eleanor Ruby!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 3:48pm

Nelly, bless your heart!! You have been quite the trooper throughout your whole pregnancy.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 7:29pm
Whoa! I'm glad everyone came out of the ordeal safely. Congrats on the beautiful baby girl and best of luck with healing, and of course I hope you can get her home by Christmas :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 7:31pm

Congratulations! I'm so happy that you and the little one are OK. What a crazy, traumatic experience to go through! I hope you can bring her home before Christmas - what a wonderful gift!:smileyhappy:

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 8:53pm

Nellie,

First of all, congratulations on the birth of an absolutely beautiful, healthy-looking, perfect daughter! And Eleanor is such a vibrant, powerful name with such a lovely meaning!

I'm sorry you went through such a harrowing experience and sorry for the loss of the fallopian tube, but glad that all worked out in the end for you and Eleanor, hard as it had to have been. Glad they caught that giant cyst! Was it a

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-21-2010 - 9:49pm

Congrats to you and your family! Eleanor is beautiful and I love her name (my DD is also an Eleanor, they are fantastic)!

I am so sorry for all of your troubles, but so glad that you and Eleanor came through safely!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to you and I hope that Eleanor makes it home in time for Santa!

Rebecca

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 10:00am
Congratulations on the birth of your sweet baby girl! Welcome to the world, Eleanor. :)

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-22-2010 - 3:14pm
well that is just stressful for your first birth experience! I'm glad that everyone is doing well and I hope that it continues. Enjoy your baby girl and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-23-2010 - 1:33pm

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3069ad