Getting nervous!

iVillage Member
Getting nervous!
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 8:44pm
I'll be 42 weeks in 2 days and still not a single sign of pending labor. I know my EDD was early by as many as 5 days, so I'll definitely be waiting until next week to induce, but at the same time I don't want to go too far past 42 weeks and risk a truly postmature baby (though I know they're rare). I'm kind of scared of an induction because I hatehatehate the idea of being hooked up to things and being a patient at the hospital. I also feel like if I do have tubes and wires connected to me I'll be more likely to cave and get the epidural, which won't be the end of my world - I had a pretty good experience with it with my first, but I just really want to experience a natural birth this time. I don't even know if the midwives will be the one overseeing my induction or if I'll have to be handed over to an OB. Ugh. I have an appointment tomorrow where I suppose I'll be able to discuss this stuff with my midwives. I'm definitely going to have her strip my membranes this appointment as a last ditch effort.

Pleasepleaseplease let me go into labor this weekend! Or better yet, tonight!
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 10:26pm
BIG hugs! I really hope you do go in to labor on your own!!! I know you've probably tried everything but walk like crazy-that's the ONLY thing that gets my contractions going.

Ashley

Proud wife and babywearing, BFing, homeschooling, CDing, sorta-crunchy WAHM of Monkey (4/2008) and Kangaroo (1/2011), waiting on a new squishy 1/2014

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-13-2011 - 10:50pm

Since my December board is VERY slow, I have been making visits to this board. . .and been following your progress.

I am not sure what you've tried but just wanted to tell you that the night I went into labor, I had spent a few hours bouncing on my exercise ball and swaying my hips (while sitting on it) in figure eight movements. . .then I would get down on arms and knees with my bum in the air and sway my hips from side to side. I was very aggressive with these movements.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 8:17am

Positive go-in-labor-soon vibes to you, Kate!

And it sucks royally that you could find your hand forced due to policies, because some women do go past the 42 week mark, and so long as there is nothing wrong with them or their babies, sometimes it just means that was the timeline this time, doesn't necessarily mean the baby will be medically "postmature". My friend Jenny went past 43 with each of her two children, and neither one was the slightest bit "postmature" physically... when there's still vernix, that baby was not overdue!

I don't blame you for not wanting the consequences of externally imposed time limits on your birth... none of us would hesitate to go into any procedure we had to, if the baby were in trouble, but it sucks when they consider simply being pregnant a threat because of a date, when the baby is just fine, since there are women

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-15-2011 - 1:45am

Kate,

I hope labor starts for you soon!

Photobucket