Going Dairy Free

iVillage Member
Going Dairy Free
Thu, 03-10-2011 - 9:28pm

I am chosing to go dairy free.

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 10:17am
I dropped dairy as well because of my little guy's battles with nighttime gas. I'm a vegetarian so it was my main protein source as well. Not easy but I'm managing. Little man has been doing better at night and has gone from 7lb 2 oz at birth to nearly 15lb now

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 11:34am
Nice weight gain! My LO lost 2lbs from throwing up everything so we're glad he had a good amount of weight on him to start with. When did you start to see an improvement? I know dairy stays in the system for a week at least but since I cut out dairy he is not screaming at the breast like it hurts so I dunno
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 5:55pm
we tried a couple of different things at once so I'm not entirely sure dairy was an issue. The peds prescribed reflux meds but I stopped those after a couple of days because he was spitting up more frequently. We also added gripe water instead of gas drops and that seemed to help most of all.

That being said, he started doing better with the nighttime gas after a little less than a week. During that tough period, munchkin gained about 3 1/2 pounds in 3 weeks. When I brought that up to the ped, she didn't seem to think it was an issue. I just can't imagine that much growth wouldn't wreak havoc on his poor little body.

Isabel

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-12-2011 - 11:56pm

I started the gripe water with Jeff tonight.

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 4:36am
Do you give the gripe water every feeding or only when he is distressed. We have tried Mylacon and gripe water and neither has really worked for us. Maybe I'm administering it wrong.

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 9:22am
We did mylacon when distressed and it had minimal impact. It breaks up belly gas but Sebastian has more intestinal gas and trouble with farting rather than burping or spitting up. With the gripe water, we gave it every 4 hours initially and have gone down to giving it to him twice a day but in the smaller 1/2 tsp dose. The larger dose was tough for him to take since he does not use bottles well yet.

Isabel

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-13-2011 - 9:24am
Good luck. Some people swear by gripe water others think it does not work. Personally, I think it helped.

Isabel

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 8:46am
If you or anyone else needs some tips for going dairy-free, I know of a really great site with a list of hidden dairy names to look for on food labels: http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

She is really thorough and knowledge is power, though I personally found that artificial butter flavor was fine for my kids, and used the Orville Redenbacker Popcorn Oil for our air-popped popcorn without any reactions.

I am a veteran at this, having learned to go dairy-free with my first, then learning how to manage, cooking and eating while also excluding egg, soy, cocoa or chocolate, almonds, blueberries, strawberries, and tomatoes, with my second child, DS1.

DS1 has since become able to eat blueberries, strawberries, tomatoes, and mayonnaise and egg yolks...but just this week, started reacting with rashes, to red food dye.

DD, grew out of her allergy to mint, which is good because basil and oregano are also mints that she used to not be able to eat without rashing up...but at 5 years old, she developed an allergy to soy, even though she wasn't eating soy foods with any regularity...just a bowl of miso soup.

I was surprised because I assumed that at 5, she was pretty much safe from developing new allergies, even if she wasn't outgrowing her allergy to dairy as everyone kept telling me she would. There are no guarantees, and so far, we are just lucky my kids aren't allergic to peanuts or gluten (wheat, barley, spelt, rye, oats, etc), and that their reactions are not severe enough to be life-threatening.

I've learned to make terrific fluffy pancakes without dairy, egg, or soy (or any milk substitute), as well as creamy vegan mac-n-'cheese', vegan carob chip cookies that are really great and don't taste like anything but a chocolate chip cookie, etc. so it can be done. Am currently considering publishing an ebook or otherwise an allergy diet cookbook, because cooking from scratch was something I was already accomplished at before I had kids, so I could easily develop alternatives to things.

If you need meal and snack ideas, I've been doing this for 6 years and am glad to assist, even as I am sorry this is happening to so many babies and children, and wonder what the cause is, because it darned sure isn't just genetics! GMOs? Hormone-disrupting chemicals causing altered immune function? Some other chemical? I don't know, but we have to deal with it whether we know the cause or not, and hope for a better future.

But if we all want to confer on this, I can throw in what I have learned from experience so others have an easier time of the whole cooking and eating thing.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 1:17pm
When I posted this I had hoped you'd reply! Meal ideas would be great! Although I think it might not be dairy because silly me ate a sandwich with whey in the bread when we were running out the door super busy and late and he was fine.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 10:25pm

About the whey in the bread, I would still advise you to stay the course, and stay off all dairy long enough to see if his symptoms are better for good, and then if they are, eat cheese (or something similarly high in dairy protein) and see what happens. If nothing happens, it isn't dairy that is the problem, and if dairy is the problem, a lot of cheese should provoke a very noticeable reaction.

If dairy is the problem, the whey in the bread might not have been enough to make a noticeable reaction...or he could be fine with dairy and it was something else all along, but the best way to find out, is stay dairy-free for a few weeks, and if he keeps on having trouble, it's not dairy, and if it clears up, do the cheese test just to be sure.Oh, and to complicate matters, I have heard that some individuals can tolerate casein but not whey, and some can tolerate whey but not casein. For my kids it didn't matter, either or both, if it was dairy, it was bad. But there's also that remote possibility of whey being ok but casein not being ok. But you'd need to eliminate all dairy first to have a blank slate from which to do the food challenge test, of eating it then, and seeing if anything happens.

Best wishes, and if you do need recipe help, along with the tons of vegan recipes out there, I can give many of my own if you need them. Also, I think I recall Sodium Caseinate being a source of dairy on labels that might not have been on Kellymom's site, and that was a big one for my kids. Anything with Sodium Caseinate (caseine being the other dairy protein besides whey).

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

Pages