good humidifier?

iVillage Member
good humidifier?
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 10:59am

can someone recommend a good brand of humidifier to get for 40 or less? i was gonna get one but then my friend who is a nursing student said that steam isn't good for little ones ? and that's what this one put out....

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 3:54pm
I use the good old cheapie hot steam vaporizers, because the new cool-mist ones that are essentially a nebulizer, don't kill bacteria (hot steam ones boil the water to make the steam, nebulizers use ultrasonic waves) and the nebulizers can leave a powder of impurities that were in the water all over your furniture. The cool mist ones sound like too much hassle to me, with their filters and need for germ-killing chemicals, etc.

I bought a $40 "better" Vicks hot vaporizer, with a removable tub and high and low control that is supposed to be whisper quiet, and needs no salt added to the water...and regretted it. It would have been fine, except the handle broke, the tub got cracks in it, and the base is enclosed and really difficult to clean properly! Back to the cheapie plain old Vicks vaporizers when we need such!
The only thing is, if you are allergic to dust mites, you have to keep an eye on the room humidity. Anything above 50% will let dustmites grow. Unfortunately, that's also what you need to break up congestion and all. If you're not allergic to dust mites, no worries. If you are, that's a tough call.

Breastmilk in the eye, cures pink eye faster than just about anything, seriously. I convinced my DH to let me try it when he had it, and it worked really fast. My mother has a gummy eye and asked if I wouldn't mind giving her a thimble or eyedropper full of expressed milk! Sounds weird, but it works amazingly well due to live white blood cells that target and kill infections on the spot. Won't work with frozen milk though, because freezing kills the white blood cells.

Extra vitamin D is something I take for immune support also, if you are interested in supplements.

By the way, were you the lady who needed my bottle of fenugreek? I remember offering it, but never got an address to send it to, so it's still here.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 5:03pm
We just bought one at Target yesterday that looks like a frog. I'm not sure what brand it is, but it isn't hot steam and it was about $40. Once we start using it I'll let you know how it works. As for Vicks for the baby, my doc said absolutely not to give him anything. He said no cold meds until he is 4 years. He also said not to put anything in the humidifier but water. My little guy is fighting Bronchiolitis and there is nothing we can do for him :(

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-21-2011 - 10:24am

thanks!! I got a vicks warm mist one (with only water in it) and it is great so far!! I got the babyrub to put on his feet for his cough ...i know it sounds weird but it works like a charm to calm congestion and cough at night

yeah i am the person who needed it ....i sent you my address on ivillage but i didnt know if it went through or not cus my computer was acting a fool LOL