Guilty pleasures: let's talk TV

iVillage Member
Guilty pleasures: let's talk TV
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 9:30pm

What do you watch, anything? I am technically not in favor of a lot of boob-tube watching, yet since my first choice hobbies aren't ones I can engage in much these days with a baby and very little time to do anything in the evening, I find solace sometimes in Big Bang Theory. I liked 30 Rock until I quit watching because it was getting too absurd and disjointed.

What do you consider a guilty pleasure, where TV is concerned?

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-30-2011 - 10:16pm
OMG I have a lot of these! Reality shows like Hoarders, I didn't know I was pg, Super Nanny, Clean House... there are a few others. These are my guilty pleasures!

~April, Mom to son Jory, 23 and boy/girl twins, Alex and Haley, 11

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 10:44pm

I sadly love reality tv.

Jennifer . . baby
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 8:44pm
I have to admit, when my first child was born, in the aftermath of a rough cesarean healing, and low milk supply and finding answers to all that amidst a baby who screamed nearly every minute she was awake, and didn't sleep much, TV kept me sane. I'd watch PBS and knew that by the time the Caillou music came on (which was oddly comforting) DD would be almost ready for a nap and a little while of peace.

Fast forward to DS1, and it was much, much, easier, but at night, oh lordy! The first few months of his life, I would hold him with his head resting on my shoulder and bounce with him on the pilates ball and watch double episodes of Two and Half Men, partly because it was the only thing on during that time, that wasn't news, that our rabbit ears and 3 grainy channels could pick up. I will always associate the theme song of that show, with those hard nights of just keeping it together that way.

Now, here I am with #3, and there just have not been any hard times, really...but somehow, I too can admit that TV has played a role in my being more ok with the confinement of the early months of motherhood, especially to a babe born in Maine, in January.

So I am more openminded about television, and am less purselipped and disapproving of it as a habit (within reason) than I was before kids. For the kids, it stays off, most of the time,

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 9:30am
Teen mom/16 and pregnant, switched at birth, sytycd but I haven't been able to watch this season... Breaking Bad w/dh but no cable and can't find it online... I keep it on for noise in the AM and watch news. I've been watching Gilmore Girls, Mad About You, Friends, Seinfeld all on DVD and stuff on Netflix and Hulu Plus. Can't afford cable but streaming Netflix and H+ are worth it to us

Ashley

Proud wife and babywearing, BFing, homeschooling, CDing, sorta-crunchy WAHM of Monkey (4/2008) and Kangaroo (1/2011), waiting on a new squishy 1/2014

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-21-2011 - 10:56pm
We love the streaming netflix and Roku as well but haven't had time to use it for ourselves, because the kids are getting to be late, and we're tired early. Go figure.

-Meg